Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA Price Guide Updates

How often does PSA update their price guide?

PackManInNC

Comments

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2020 6:17PM

not often enough to use it as a practical guide for buying/selling. prices on some cards literally fluctuate daily and those comp prices won't be reflected in the SMR for some time. however if you use the APR function, those will reflect current auction close prices and should be very accurate.

For example, the 2003 Topps Chrome Dwyane Wade PSA 10 according to SMR is $80. Its been skyrocketing since February/March. Recent sales are cresting $1,100. The refractor version says $400, its sales are $3000+.

For cards that fluctuate less and have had a steady price for a long time, the guide can be somewhat accurate. But in the age of the internet, print can't keep up with the daily changes that the market goes through.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

not a money maker in their mind, so not enough resources devoted to it. this is a pet peeve of mine. heck, they should let some people on the board maintain it. i could do the 1987's, you could the 1986's, chip can do the 1985's etc. free of charge. just give us some free submissions from time to time.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

I wish they would drop the guide from the print version of SMR, which I still enjoy. Seems like they could update the online version pretty easily.

Also, they could add additional photos and add articles from different writers.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

APR is a far better resource. Why would they invest in SMR updates on top of that?

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

Their 1972 Football high series commons have been the same price as Series I & II for like a decade. That should tell you all you need to know on whether to trust SMR prices.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

SMR is useless. Really any printed price guide is useless anymore. The way cards fluctuate prices these days, there is no way to maintain an accurate printed price guide at all. If I am at a show, or buying from someone, or at a shop and they pull out a beckett or any price guide I just walk away. Though now a days, someone who does that may give you some good bargains based on the price guide differential to what they actually sell for.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Any of you remember the days of actually using a Beckett Price guide? circa early 90's and before, LOL

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cougar701 said:
    Any of you remember the days of actually using a Beckett Price guide? circa early 90's and before, LOL

Yeah, I used to grab one from my local card shop every month. I remember they had the Hot and Cold list. Here is the hot and cold list for January 1989.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cougar701 said:

I used to try referring to it at times at card shows. Dealers would always say it was wrong on the cards they had priced too high and ALSO wrong on cards I was trying to sell/trade them.

Price guides have never done me much good. It was always nice if you bought one and the little "arrow" was pointing up next to one of your recent pick up's!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

cougar701

Yes, still have a couple of them.... lol.