Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

It was only 157 years ago today

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was only 157 years ago today that the Battle of Gettysburg, one of the most important battles of the American Civil War, began.
Post a coin from 1863 or any other date that you like.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    edited July 1, 2020 3:33PM

@CoinJunkie said:
    Not a coin, but the closest thing I have to 1863. This was the first national currency issued, primarily to fund the Civil War.

Not a coin but sure fits this thread, thanks for posting that :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options

@Jimnight said:
    I'm sorry, I have nothing from that time period ... so I'll post a .69 caliber musket ball from the Gettysburg battlefield I found online.

Sooooooooo, You DO have something from that time period, I love it :)

• Options

@Crusty said:
    A couple years ago I went and visited the battlefield with my father and uncle. What blew me away was the size of the battlefield. The place was amazing and well worth the trip. Walking around and seeing all the monuments and the fields was crazy. I could feel the energy in the air it was an experience I’ll never forget.

Great coin and even GREATER family story :)

• Options

@TommyType said:
    Deserves better pictures.....

History is sometimes disconnected in our brains, at least for me. Like realizing that there was a hustling/bustling society in California, to the point of having a US Mint, during the Civil War.

@coinbuf said:
    The only thing I have a photo from that era of is this coin in my 7070, not a great photo but best I have.

You folks sell your selves short........those are great pics and even greater coins :)

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    I'm sorry, I have nothing from that time period ... so I'll post a .69 caliber musket ball from the Gettysburg battlefield I found online.

NICE!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston
    @joeykoins

I think I'm being miss understood ... the picture comes from online. I don't own the musket ball.

• Options

@Jimnight
    Not a problem :)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:
    Not a coin, but the closest thing I have to 1863. This was the first national currency issued, primarily to fund the Civil War.

That's awesome!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2020 8:22AM

Looks like I don't have anything dated 1863 that was issued in 1863, but this is the next best thing.

• Options

Beautiful @messydesk

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are a few pics from my trip to Gettysburg. The pics don’t accurately depict just how cool the experience was. I will be going back again someday with my kids.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file