Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

College

Which college tends to bring up the best baseball players?

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Arenado_is_best said:
    Which college tends to bring up the best baseball players?

Only American colleges? Or maybe there is an eligible college in the D.R. or Venezuela?

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arizona State would always be the first that comes to my mind because of Reggie Jackson, Bob Horner, and Barry Bonds. A quick check of Google confirms that they are the college that has produced the most MLB alumni.

USC, UCLA, Michigan, and Texas also come to mind as having some famous alumni. Not sure if Mississippi State has produced a significant number of players, but always remember it being mentioned that Will Clark and Rafael Palmeiro were teammates there.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

If you want hitters, Arizona State like CountDouglas says. For pitchers, I’ll take USC: Tom Seaver, Randy Johnson, Barry Zito off the top of my head and I’m missing some. Bats aren’t terrible with McGwire, the Boone brothers and my boy Freddie Lynn.

ESPN ranked all time programs maybe 2 years ago if you can find it. A tad stale but it was a good read.

If you were to ask which current coaching staff to coach a family member, I’d lean Vanderbilt. But their unis are horrible.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Michigan had: Larkin, Sabo, Hal Morris, and Jim Abbott that made the MLB during my baseball heyday. Since then, I think JJ Putz is the most recognizable name.

• Options
    jlvette50jlvette50 Posts: 328 ✭✭✭

Long Beach State!

From their website: 2018

" Long Beach State Baseball has 51 former players who have played in the Majors. In eight of the last nine seasons, more Dirtbags have played in the majors than any other college or university."

Longoria Collector. Love the Longo!https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/evan-longoria-master-set/alltimeset/90851 600+ PSA Graded 4,700+ unique Longoria cards scanned on TCDB 800+ different Longo autograph cards Jeff

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:
    Arizona State would always be the first that comes to my mind because of Reggie Jackson, Bob Horner, and Barry Bonds.

Hubie Brooks, too. He was teammates with Horns.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whenever college is mentioned, it always brings back fond memories of my college days. Here is my alma mater, and I can see the old campus still looks the same.