Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Really got hammered on BGS crossover

Just got the results of a BGS crossover sub and really got hammered. I left these in the holders. Cards were all newer cards and fairly high priced which was why i left them in the BGS holders. I have cracked and submitted with good results but have also gotten good results with keep them intact. Two marked with * I actually put a minimum grade based on the price that I paid for the cards.

2005 UD Exquisite Collection Dual Signatures E2Sfm Brett Favre/Peyton Manning BGS: 8.5 PSA:8
2005 Topps Chrome Premium Performers PP-BF Brett Favre Prem.Performers-Auto.Jer. BGS: 9 PSA:9
*2005 Topps Chrome Premium Performers PP-BF Brett Favre Prem.Performers-Auto.Jer. Gold Refractor BGS:10 PSA: Min Grade
2003 Leaf Limited Limited Threads LT-9 Brett Favre Prime Auto. BGS:9.5 PSA:7
2004 Fleer E-X Clearly Authentics CA-BF Brett Favre Relics Autograph Burgundy BGS: 8.5 PSA:7
2007 SP Chirography Signature Quarterbacks SQ-BF Brett Favre Silver BGS:9 PSA:8
*2003 Leaf Limited Monikers Material Autographs M-24 Brett Favre BGS:9 PSA: Min Grade
2003 Playoff Contenders 190 Troy Polamalu Autograph BGS:9 PSA:8

The results started off good then....The min grades were 9 and 8.5. I have a hard to time seeing how PSA would grade a BGS 10 below a 9. The 9 to 8.5 min I could see. I also can't see a BGS 9.5 going all the way to a PSA7.

Packers Fan for Life
Collecting:
Brett Favre Master Set
Favre Ticket Stubs
Favre TD Reciever Autos
Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
Football HOF Rc's

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch, I've got a small crossover sub in grading now. I'm hoping for better results. What were the sub grades like on the 9.5 and/or 8.5 that went to 7s?

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some tough crossover grades you received. Agree with you on how a BGS 9.5 or 10 dropping to a 7. Apparently the PSA grader saw something that BGS did not see when grading them. Could be a combination of a very tough grader at PSA with a not so tough grader at BGS causing the big drop.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my experience, PSA tends to grade the thicker cards really tough. I'm not sure why or what the the main hang up is, but a PSA 7 thick card could easily be a BGS 8.5. I've had a PSA 5 turn into a BGS 8 (imo the 8 was a better representation). I've also had a PSA 6 turn into a BGS 9.5. (once again I thought the higher grade better resembled the condition).

I think trying to crossover without removing the card will rarely result in a higher grade. PSA is a king, the toughest grader. They would not want BGS 8.5's to become PSA 9's. Not a good narrative for PSA. I've had 1 crossover to the exact grade of the Beckett.

Now, I have removed cards from BGS holders and received higher PSA grades. Two BVG 9's turned into two PSA 10's.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2020 4:02PM

Your lucky the BGS cards even made the cut at all. And at least you got them out of those BGS cases.

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭

I'm always satisfied if I can get a straight cross or 1/2 lower

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always crack.

Arthur

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is too bad.

It would be nice to see scans of the cards, before offering opinions.

PSA has the reputation as being a tough grading company this is why their cards sell for more in the same grade.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:
    Your lucky the BGS cards even made the cut at all. And at least you got them out of those un guaranteed BGS BS cases.
    Sorry I just dont like BGS period. Never liked or agreed with any of there grades.

"I've never liked any of there grades". Come on, you must have liked at least 1.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2020 4:02PM

True, I do own one BGS card and that was graded probably the 2-3 years after they stated and It was a childhood card.

• Options
    cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

what's the old saying we used to hear all the time? Buy the card not the holder? or something like that.
    I've seen my fair share of PSA grading mistakes also. Fine balance of taking enough time with each card when you have a huge and mounting backlog of cards waiting to be graded and there is an expectation of a certain turnaround time with only so much staff, etc etc.

• Options
    VoteDizzyVoteDizzy Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

I've always had better luck crossing than cracking. I very recently had five copies of the same 2004 card all graded by BGS. I sent in three for crossover, a 10 and two 9.5's, and all three became PSA 10's. The two I cracked out were a 10 and a 9 and both came back as PSA 8's. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Hockey - Hrdina - Thunderbirds
    Wrestling - Danielson - Storm - Tajiri
  • Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

ive had a BGS 8.5 that I sent as a crossover and set the min grade as 7 since I firmly believed it was way overgraded by BGS. sure enough, it got the 7 I expected. Also had a BGS 9 cracked out get a PSA 10 (2017 Bowman Chrome with one 8.5 centering grade which was really lame). PSA graded the centering way more fair for what it was.

Ive seen BGS overgrade sometimes and undergrade and PSA came through with the more accurate grade.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, it’s a political game. Can’t say I’m at all surprised by these results.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

I believe the mylar sleeve that the BGS card sits in has a lot to do with potential bumping during removal, on top of the difficult to crack tombstone it resides in... I believe PSA would have similar issues during removal, as they likely have a machined process to remove their own holders, but BGS and other cases might be more of a manual process.

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Ouch, I've got a small crossover sub in grading now. I'm hoping for better results. What were the sub grades like on the 9.5 and/or 8.5 that went to 7s?

Subs on cards that didnt grade...

Set Name : 2005 Topps Chrome Premium Performers Jersey Autographs Gold Refractor
    Player Name : Brett Favre
    Date Graded : Thursday, April 02, 2015
    Centering Grade : 10.0
    Corner Grade : 10.0
    Edges Grade : 10.0
    Surfaces Grade : 9.5
    Autograph Grade : 10.0
    Final Grade : 10.0

Set Name : 2003 Leaf Limited Material Monikers
    Player Name : Brett Favre/10
    Date Graded : Wednesday, October 22, 2014
    Centering Grade : 9.5
    Corner Grade : 9.0
    Edges Grade : 9.0
    Autograph Grade : 9.0
    Final Grade : 9.0

Here are the subs on the ones that turned out to be 7s...
    Set Name : 2003 Leaf Limited Threads Prime
    Player Name : Brett Favre AU
    Date Graded : Wednesday, August 03, 2016
    Edges Grade : 9.5
    Final Grade : 9.5

Set Name : 2004 E-X Clearly Authentics Patch Autographs Burgundy
    Date Graded : Friday, December 27, 2013
    Centering Grade : 9.0
    Corner Grade : 8.5
    Edges Grade : 8.5
    Surfaces Grade : 9.0
    Final Grade : 8.5

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

@cougar701 said:
    what's the old saying we used to hear all the time? Buy the card not the holder? or something like that.
    I've seen my fair share of PSA grading mistakes also. Fine balance of taking enough time with each card when you have a huge and mounting backlog of cards waiting to be graded and there is an expectation of a certain turnaround time with only so much staff, etc etc.

i agree with buy the card and not the holder. some of these are low serial numbered cards (ie 1/10 etc)...so if you want that card you can only be so picky. they dont appear all that often for sale.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jradke4 said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Subs on cards that didnt grade...

Set Name : 2005 Topps Chrome Premium Performers Jersey Autographs Gold Refractor
    Date Graded : Thursday, April 02, 2015
    Corner Grade : 10.0
    Edges Grade : 10.0
    Final Grade : 10.0

Set Name : 2003 Leaf Limited Material Monikers
    Player Name : Brett Favre/10
    Date Graded : Wednesday, October 22, 2014
    Centering Grade : 9.5
    Edges Grade : 9.0
    Autograph Grade : 9.0
    Final Grade : 9.0

Hard to comment on these, but the 2005 Topps card you would think would easily grade a 9. It would be nice if PSA would give some information on higher dollar cards as to why they wouldn't cross.

Here are the subs on the ones that turned out to be 7s...
    Set Name : 2003 Leaf Limited Threads Prime
    Player Name : Brett Favre AU
    Date Graded : Wednesday, August 03, 2016
    Edges Grade : 9.5
    Final Grade : 9.5

Set Name : 2004 E-X Clearly Authentics Patch Autographs Burgundy
    Date Graded : Friday, December 27, 2013
    Centering Grade : 9.0
    Corner Grade : 8.5
    Edges Grade : 8.5
    Surfaces Grade : 9.0
    Final Grade : 8.5

Again, hard to understand the big drop on the 2003 Leaf. PSA doesn't give out the .5 grade very often, so the 2004 E-Z was prolly an 8 when they got it, so a 1 point drop isn't too surprising.

Would love to see some scans.

Favre was a STUD! Hated him with the Packers Loved him when he played for the Vikes.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

What is anyone's experience with SGC crossovers? The dozen or so SGC cards I have seem to be pretty legit and correctly graded.

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Yes I would like to know about SGC crossovers as well. Thanks.

PackManInNC
  • Options

almost pulled the trigger on a recently graded SCG 10 intending on crossing over, but not familiar with their new scale and how it compares to PSA in terms of crossovers. I mean it must be easier for PSA, since there isn't a terrible sleeve in the way so judging surface and corners must be easier.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

Here is the BGS 10...turns out PSA left a little note on the reverse...

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

@jradke4 said:

consider yourself lucky. they never do that, but wish they did.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always crack. Always.

Arthur

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dictoresno said:

@jradke4 said:

consider yourself lucky. they never do that, but wish they did.

That’s a beautiful card with awesome grades. I can’t see a reason to ever to even try to cross. I think the modern auto cards look much better in their holders. JMO

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Always crack. Always.

Arthur

I normally do...but that card is numbered 9/10 and I paid a decent amount for that card. I didn't want to risk the dreaded min size or some other ding on it.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's