Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does anyone know where I might find the rough market value of this?

WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 30, 2020 5:07AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Does anyone know a link where I can find a rough approx. market value for this? Does PCGS or NGC have a price guide for graded Ancient Coins somewhere? Or is there some other entity that has rough market values listed? Does anyone think the bit of toning might add a small amt of value?

Comments

• Options
    OboneObone Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

There exists no price guide for ancients in the same way that american coins have a price guide. Theres lots of factors that goes into pricing ancients, such as strike centering, how strong the portraits are, etc. Good ways to check value is to go on CNG or Coinarchives, and find sold examples for similar examples.

This particular series, the grade has a large impact on price. Looking through CNG, the top examples are selling for thousands, with lesser examples selling for 1-3 hundred. Yours is a nice coin, I'd say the value would be around 200-300usd.
    A much better coin than the NGC Fine lets on, the toning adds eye appeal IMO, and you have nice centering,

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obone, very helpful!! Thank you. I can no longer remember what I paid, it might have been around 350 or 400 in an open auction on ebay, but that was a good 8 years ago I think. I had no idea what it was worth when I bought it, i was flying blind, but i liked it, There seemed to be a lot of action on it (i think maybe from the toning). In any case, i think your 200-300 estimate is a pretty good ballpark. I think i might just toss it up on ebay and hope for the best. Its a cool thing to lay your hands on something from over 2000 years ago (in the BC era).

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice example of the coin. It is well centered on obverse and reverse, has an excellent planchet and has great eye-appeal. I have no idea as to its value but would imagine it to be at the high end of what that grade brings.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

For future reference, Coin Archives can be very helpful when researching ancients. It is a subscription-based site but is easily searchable to look up prices for ancients as well as World Coins.

Auction houses' archives are typically free to use and are a good resource as well.

The toning is attractive on this piece.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it difficult to believe that coin only grades F! While I have very little experience with ancients....There is no way I would sell that as a F! I'm thinking NGC in their quest to change the grading standards of US coins(Or going back to strict Brown + Dunn line drawing grading) are doing it with ancients as well. They are making me tons of money from dealers who can't grade and list and price their coins by the grade NGC assigns! If NGC keeps this up I see them loosing a huge part of Market Share. I'll continue to enjoy the gold mine they are creating as long as they are able to get the uneducated to submit their coins to them!

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would easily pay $250 for that coin.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, I like it !!! :)

Timbuk3