Home Autographs Forum
Options

Need help figuring out autographed baseballs...

Anybody recognize the sigs on these two balls?

The top ball someone gave me years ago and said it was Tom Glavine. It is on a 1995 World Series ball but it does not look anything like Glavine’s signature.

The bottom ball is on an MLB ball with Bud Selig as commissioner so would’ve been 1998-2015.

Appreciate any help! Thanks!
Craig

Comments

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

That first one seems so familiar to me, I may even have it, but I can't place it right now.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

Second one is Phil Garner.

• Options

Phil Garner - yes, now I recall meeting him several years ago and getting that autograph. Thank you Harper 154!!

Mrmopar, if you figure out that first ball I’m dying to know. Thanks!

• Options

Probably a stretch, but I can kind of see a really rushed/sloppy Bobby Ojeda

• Options

Don’t think it could be Bobby Ojeda. It’s on a 1995 World Series ball so has to be a Player from the Braves or Indians and Ojeda was on neither.

Thanks anyway. Still hoping someone can confirm this could be Glavine or has an idea of who else it could be. Thanks!

• Options

I highly doubt it is Tom Glaive. That is not even a remote possibility in my mind. You might also consider rethinking that it "has to be a player from..." mindset. People get weird items signed all the time. Sometimes a stamped ball or photo will give you clues, other times it will just throw you off.

You see celebrities who sign ticket stubs from events they did not participate in, simply because they were there as a viewer and were spotted. The person has nothing else, so they have that person sign the stub. Same could be said of a ball. Maybe you hoped to grab a signature before the game, but failed to get anyone. Later, you notice someone in the stands who is famous and you have them sign the ball, because...you have nothing else for them to sign.

This is the exact reason I started going back through my stuff and labeling all my signatures if there was not already one. I don't want anyone else to have to try to figure out something I knew to be obvious because I got it signed or bought it that way. As long as the details don't get separated from the signatures!!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2020 11:07AM

@mrmopar said:

This is the exact reason I started going back through my stuff and labeling all my signatures if there was not already one. I don't want anyone else to have to try to figure out something I knew to be obvious because I got it signed or bought it that way. As long as the details don't get separated from the signatures!!

I need to do this as well. I have a lot of sigs that are known to me but would be indescipherable to someone who was not familiar with them.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

The signature actually appears to be Rudy Seanez. He was with the Dodgers in 1995, but was with the Braves beginning in 1998.

The signature matches up with a couple of signed baseballs I just found on ebay.

Steve

• Options

And that makes sense for why it was familiar to me, but couldn't place it. I collect Dodgers autographs and have numerous Seanez signatures. Sometimes these are very hard to place w/o solid context! I see it now though.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2020 10:07AM

Bad handwriting for sure.

• Options

Thanks so much! It does look like Seanez. He wasn’t on roster for that 1995 world series but since someone gave me the ball, who knows when and how they got the autograph.

Appreciate the help!
    Craig