Home Q & A Forum
Options

Newbie here, Sacagawea question

My dad recently passed away and had a few coins. While sorting his stuff, I came across a mint box of a labeled 2007 Sacagawea D golden dollar roll. The coins on both ends are silver colored, not golden like the others. Any advice where I could find out more about this? I know very little about coins, trying to learn. Thanks in advance for any help!

Answers

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2020 10:22AM

Welcome to the forum! :)

There is a chance they may have just toned a bit from 13 years of storage.
    Photos may help get more replies.

Edited to add: Sorry about your father. :'(
    The roll doesn't have a lot of extra value as a roll, you may want to open them and see if more coins inside the roll are discolored. If it is only the end coins, it is toning from storage.

• Options

I am also not a professional photographer😳. Thank you for the condolences, I miss him! He would probably not be happy I have them out of the box without gloves 😬. I just thought they were weird because there is such a noticeable difference from the others and they were all stored the same. Both ends of the P are heads, Both of the D are tails, that is both ends. Thank you so much for your response!

• Options
    edited June 29, 2020 12:08PM

Both seem to be in the proper color spectrum for golden dollars.
    Looks like just a slight amount of toning from storage.

Edited to add: Great photos :)

• Options

Thank you for your response. Is there a reputable resource to learn about toning?

• Options

Toning on coins is quite an in depth subject.
    Most of the time bright or unusual colors are needed for it to be worth more money.
    Kinda like this.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope you save these coins and give to your kids and grand kids. o:)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!