Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Rack pack to wax pack price ratio

rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve noticed with late 70s and 80s items the ratio for Topps product is not really linear on a per card basis and kind of all over the place. I get that packs are more desirable and displayable and that racks have higher quality cards.

So all things being equal, we should have settled on a pretty consistent ratio by now. The only remaining factor would be availability. Is there really that much of an availability variation between the two products, say between 1978-1985?

Comments

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

I don't think that a "per card" ratio will be a fruitful effort. When you wander off into collecting unopened, it is not so much the cards inside that drive the price, as much as the rarity and condition of the product. Some versions of products are more rare or more desirable than others. At this point, almost everything from 1979 and before is valuable based on the product itself unopened, and not because of the value of the cards inside. It is a money losing proposition at this point to rip most anything before 1980. If you want to rip for nostalgia, fine. But the value at this point has little to do with the cards inside.
    kevin