Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Multiple sets

Hey guys, I was just curious, do you participate in only one set to get the finest or do you participate in multiple sets? I just added a 20th century type set one to my morgan one and it's kind of fun to have both the variety and variations.

Comments

• Options
    To maintian the high quality I demand in my set it would be to to expensive and slow to work on more than one set at a time. I am working on a complete US type set from 1792 to present Mint State Circulation strikes(includes 1 example of every state quarter). That is a huge set and can get very expensive.
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • Options
    keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
    Neil,

I just have the Type sets now as my certified sets, but occasionally add pieces to my album collections to break the monotony. Just picked up a 1921 Walker in VG-8 to complete my Walking Liberty album.
    Keith ™

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's easy to get carried away and only collect Registry coins. I find myself falling into that trap!
    Nice 1921 Walker. ANYTHING above AG03 is tough on those.

((Keith- you're wanted back on the Open Forum...))

peacockcoins

• Options
    Nice 1921 Walker. ANYTHING above AG03 is tough on those

I ended up buying the 16-S, 21, and 21-D certified. The 16-S and the 21-D I grabbed off Teletrade and the 21 I got on Heritage. And I managed to make sure that each piece in the set has a full 4 digit date, which can sometimes be hard on the circulated pieces.
    Keith ™

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I know I've gotten carried away with the registry a bit. The competition is good except for my wallet! I'm sending a huge submission of my coins and some of my moms (she's got a nice 1893 morgan, argh!). I guess I'll help CU's bottom line!

So do you all do one set, then move on to another? Or do you build a set and then sell it and then move on?

Neil
  • Options
    My type set will take so long to complete I don't even want to think about what I will do when it's finished.

But bar some catastrophic event in my life it will never be sold. I am assembling it for me and my son. What he does with it after I am gone?
    Bill

• Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Neil,
    I'm after the same challenge as Bill: 1792-present circulation type. I'm starting with major varieties, but will eventually move to minor varieties. Suffice it to say that it will take my lifetime to complete as well. I've also contemplated doing a type set in proof, just for kicks.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Do you guys look for just the "right" coin for the type or do you pick great looking common dates?
  • Options
    I personally look for coins with a certain look if the date is of no consequence. And to save money a wee bit, do try to focus on the more common dates.
    Keith ™

• Options
    I do not like the upgrade game because it usually ends up costing more in the long run.

I already have certian grades in mind that I want to fill each hole.

I look for semi key dates or grade rarity coins within the individual series that fit my criteria and still remain within my financial reach.

I try to stay away from the common dates as much as I can but some of the different types within a series are so rare and expensive even in the common dates I am happy to just get one.

I have to like the coin (eye appeal) or I will not purchase it. I am going to have these for a long time and if I don't like the way it looks it will not keep me happy.
    Bill

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have several sets that are in various stages of completion. I'm currently focussed on one of them, but there are 4 other sets where I need 3 coins or less for completion, and I'll pick up a coin needed for those if a particularly appealing specimen comes along. When it comes to the type set, if I can have just one coin of the type, I prefer an attractive slightly better date to a common date in a higher grade. High grade common date coins are pretty to look at, and may be worth more points in the registry, but they don't possess the "magic" that tougher dates have.

Jim

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!