Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Hmm... (Austrian 20 corona)

I was just perusing the Sixbid archives when I noticed these two 1913 coins. Has this been noticed before?

coin #1
coin #2

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)

Comments

• Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

Look at all of the dates.

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1911 shows 1913, too. Starting price is higher because altered dates are rarer. Don't often see errors like that in big auctions. Everybody makes mistakes.

• Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

@HoledandCreative said:
    The 1911 shows 1913, too. Starting price is higher because altered dates are rarer. Don't often see errors like that in big auctions. Everybody makes mistakes.

I may be misinterpreting you, but your post did get me to consider if the coin got an altered date after minting; after all, the 1913 is more rare and expensive than 1911. Sure, forgetting the Roman date would be a bigger mistake and tell for the alterer than leaving the VDB on the bust for a "19 14-D" Lincoln cent, but weird things happen. I do however recall finding three appearances for the dual date. Two were of the same coin, and I'd have to find the third, if I really did recall correctly.

I'd probably want to do some overlays, and likely will get them. Certainly compare the 1913/11 with a 1911/11, and compare a couple of 1911/11's struck with different dies. The other thing I noticed is that the 13/11 has a slightly different;y shaped "3" from the 13/13s looked at.

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

The wanna be criminals aren't perfect either, thank goodness. Although there are some really good counterfeit and/or altered coins for sale and being sold every day.