Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just realized Trout is going to be 29 and He's about a hundred dingers behind the MIck?? HUH??

I don't know ...you guys are pumping all this money into Trout and he might not get as many dingers as the Mick (536).... Trout is only at 285 now (plus he had the foot surgery) and watch if he don't pull an Albert Belle and he get's out early..... just sayin'....

chaz

Comments

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2020 8:01PM

I wonder how many home runs he would be behind if he didn't have the MLB exception to use HGH? But then again, MLB knows they need a marketable superstar because MLB is a dying sport far behind the NBA and NFL so it does not matter.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

How is 536 - 285 “about a hundred”?

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

I think he means when Mantle was Trout's age, Mantle had 100 more dingers.

• Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

@detroitfan2 said:
    Not only that, Tom Brady is now older than Sparky Anderson was when Sparky won the World Series with the Big Red Machine in 1975. True story.

Very good Point. I didn't think about that....

chaz

• Options

@ArtVandelay said:
    I wonder how many home runs he would be behind if he didn't have the MLB exception to use HGH? But then again, MLB knows they need a marketable superstar because MLB is a dying sport far behind the NBA and NFL so it does not matter.

Wow. Another good point.

• Options

@detroitfan2 said:
    And Chaz is right, why sink money into a guy who has had 8 solid MLB years when you can invest thousands in proven GOATs like Luka and Acuna? Plus, it's not like Trout can play a lick of defense. SMH.

Not saying Trout is not a great player...but comparing him to the Mick right now is a stretch....also not saying that he can't catch up... I'm thinking he's got to hit over 600 dingers at least to be in the stratosphere... he would have to hit over 33 dingers a year for the next 10 years to have a shot....

chaz

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ArtVandelay said:
    I wonder how many home runs he would be behind if he didn't have the MLB exception to use HGH?

He doesn't have an exception. That was just made-up nonsense.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mantle had 320 homers when he turned 29. Trout has 285.

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

Fuzzy Chaz math 😂

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bottom line is athletes are in much better shape now than ever, we are going to continue to see an uptick of more players staying well into their 40’s.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trout is the best player currently. Top of mind sells. I like Trout I collect some Trout stuff but I am spending more time looking for value in older players I collect that are not currently experiencing crazy run up prices.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ndleo said:

HGH helps!

• Options

plus Tom doesn't have diabetes. Only the middle-aged farts like me know the joke.

Mike
  • Options

@jackstraw said:

@Tabe said:

Fuzzy Chaz math 😂

I calculate 324 so trout is still behind and for him to get to 600+, trout is still going to have to hit an avg of 33 dingers per year over the next 10 years which ain't easy. He has averaged 35 dingers per year for those 8 productive seasons. Not saying he can't do it but it's not going to be easy.

chaz

• Options

@MLBdays said:
    Trout lives a much cleaner life than Mantle .... in several ways that count in terms of happiness, longevity and fulfilling potential. Mantle, as great as he was .... left plenty of his own expectations unfulfilled. Not merely on the diamond ...His family and children were a dysfunctional mess and his own regretted behavior in retrospect was as large as many coin and card collections. Does Mike Trout even drink alcohol and screw around in every away city he visits? It's a tale of two vastly different human beings. Trout's career numbers will likely surpass the Mick in totals by plenty. Assuming the union and MLB can agree on things without striking and shutting seasons down.

"Assuming the union and MLB can agree" .....When you ass.....u.....me...... watch out...because there is the risk...not saying he can't do it but......

chaz

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know if he is on anything, but his physique is pretty easy to get to naturally. Thats not a body that screams on the juice.

And most of us filled out as we aged. I can couldn’t break 165 when I was 20 but can carry 185 and look good at 43.

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:
    I don’t know if he is on anything, but his physique is pretty easy to get to naturally. Thats not a body that screams on the juice.

And most of us filled out as we aged. I can couldn’t break 165 when I was 20 but can carry 185 and look good at 43.

I agree with this sentiment other than the look good at 43 part cuz I would need a picture first.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol, fair enough.

@detroitfan2 said:

@80sOPC said:

I agree with this sentiment other than the look good at 43 part cuz I would need a picture first.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2020 12:51PM

I can somewhat agree with you in terms of health and conditioning correctly definitely can make a huge difference on your physique. Similarly, I was rail thin as a kid and continued to be that way playing baseball through college. It was not until after I tore my rotator cuff (pitcher) that I started utilizing proper conditioning and weight training. It makes a huge difference.

However, I do think Baseball offers us bystanders the unique perspective of being able to look at plenty of examples of players before and after steroids. The change in Mike Trout's body type and statistical differentials is so similar to literally 100's of known cases it becomes much easier to draw conclusions. People who are HGH/Steroid users are pretty noticeable and most body builders can easily pick them out. When you are clean and you lift you can do so for months on end and your body will pretty much max out. Once you hit the HGH it's a whole new ball game and it is easily identifiable.

The odd thing is that I personally believe HGH should be legalized. While I do not partake myself, I do think that the benefits of HGH tend to outweigh any of the negatives. When you are 40 years old and your body feels and looks like it is 20 years younger I do not think that is a bad thing. I'm sure the same could be said of a 60 year old feeling 20+ years younger. The whole point is to help make the human experience better than it could be. And if HGH can do that safely, then it should become normalized in society. It would change how we look at professional sports as something like baseball would become more entertainment and less sport eventually. But, that has already happened over the last 30 years with juicing, baseballs being changed to go longer distances, and of course, having electronic technology advise players of what pitch is coming so they can produce on stage. It's basically become Professional Wrestling so you might as well let HGH run rampant and let the audience enjoy the more scripted spectacle.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0f3xj6-4Dc

Here he is in 2013. He has a good build and clearly has great genetics but I vote he is taking a lot of something when comparing to the second photo that was posted. If you are doing consistent weight training you peak in your mid 20's and then just gain harder and fuller muscles but not larger muscles when you are natural. It might be the angle but he looks like he is 30 pounds heavier. Major warning sign if so.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doing a search for Mike Trout steroids I found this page.

http://www.sportscardradio.com/mike-trout-hgh-rumors-put-card-fondlers-on-suicide-watch/

Haha

I do find it funny when people make fun of others only to have it completely blow up on them. Vegas Dave may be someone most wouldn't like but he put his money where his mouth was on Trout and killed it. I don't think there was a sole alive that thought his buy at 400k was a good one let alone an amazing one.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Tom Brady takes care of himself really well. He could play until he's 50 if he wanted to. Heck, look at Brett Favre, he was 65 when he finally retired.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@ndleo said:
    plus Tom doesn't have diabetes. Only the middle-aged farts like me know the joke.

You check your blood sugar, and you check it often! There’s no reason not to!

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mantle dropped off quite a bit in 5 of his last 6 years. If Trout plays as long as Mantle that's where he might catch him, if he stays healthy.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

The Mick's triple crown in 56' is the difference maker for me no matter what Trout does.

chaz

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

It will be interesting to see how Trout's body hold up at around age 33-36. Look at Miguel Cabrera and his decline. The contract he signed last year will keep him in SoCal until 2030 (age 38). Summary of the contract: 12 year / $426,500,000 contract with the Los Angeles Angels, including a $20,000,000 signing bonus, $426,500,000 guaranteed. Huge incentives to play and just put up numbers. Trout should surpass 500 homer runs, but 600 might be a bridge too far.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chaz43 said:
    The Mick's triple crown in 56' is the difference maker for me no matter what Trout does.

chaz

Tremendous year for the Mick.

Mantle was simply a better home run hitter than Trout. That doesn't mean Trout can't/won't end up with more HR.

Time will tell.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

If Trout's career path follows typical progression, he will probably move to 1B or DH once he starts showing his age. That alone will probably allow him to hang on and hit more homers than Mick. The question is will he care? He is a near lock for the HOF already.

Mike
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2020 9:55AM

Willie Mays thinks this conversation is cute.

• Options

@rcmb3220 said:
    Willie Mays thinks this conversation is cute.

LOL!

chaz

• Options

I don't know, the way the virus is spreading, I don't know if there will be a start to the season in late July and that goes for all sports.

chaz

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

@detroitfan2 said:

@DBesse27 said:

I think he means when Mantle was Trout's age, Mantle had 100 more dingers.

I don't care either way, but: Trout was born Aug 1991, Mantle Oct 1931. So, Trout through 2019 would be the same as Mantle through 1959. Baseball Reference uses player age at beginning of the season, so they show them as 27 for 2019 and 1959. Trout has 285 HR and Mantle 280 HR.

Looking at Trout's stats, runs scored is the one where he may have a shot at the all-time number.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Concerning Trouts future HR total. Work stoppages and injuries are always a concern. Trout has lost many AB's so far this year and it's not a given, the season as it is being planned for, will be complete. M.M.s W.S. stats will be safe from a Trout threat.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

I think the Mick holds the all time playoff dinger record with 17 I believe.

chaz

• Options

Well at least Trout didn't go to the Yankees where they buy championships....it's sickening...

chaz

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2020 9:03PM

@chaz43 said:

chaz

Before the expanded playoffs, Mantle and Reggie were tied with 18.

ETA, what's funny is that I just saw this the other night, watching the replay of Game 4 of the 1989 WS. Dave Henderson hit a couple of home runs and they posted the all-time postseason leaders.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trout while an excellent player, might not be in the same sentence as Mantel, It's
    all about post season playing which Trout has not seen. Mantel was a perennial
    star in October. In many ways post season means as much or more regular season.

• Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2020 1:48PM

Just realized Trout is 11 strikeouts behind Reggie Jackson so does that mean he will
    be the all time strikeout leader?

James

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@bighurt2000 said:
    Just realized Trout is 11 strikeouts behind Reggie Jackson so does that mean he will
    be the all time strikeout leader?

James

I’d be honored to be in that top 10

• Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2020 3:34PM

Hey Whoa !! The ultimate minor league strikeout king was a GOD. He killed an alien ! Swing Away Merrill !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c2jp8WyXms

Mantel ? What the ? A baseball player should NOT be a fireplace shelf where porcelain angels are placed.

TROUT rules.

• Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

I won’t get started on the Mantle thing where the popularity and ongoing allure to his cards is solely based on every little boy’s infatuation at the time with Disney’s Mickey Mouse.
    The correlation is just to strong to resist.

Heh.

• Options

@Horse said:
    I won’t get started on the Mantle thing where the popularity and ongoing allure to his cards is solely based on every little boy’s infatuation at the time with Disney’s Mickey Mouse.

Heh.

It's not about the popularity and the allure, it's about the numbers. Trout is behind the Mick and who knows what the hell this virus thing is going to do.....plus he had a foot injury...plus he's got enough where he never has to work again.....can he hit six hundred plus dingers??? ....so who knows???

chaz

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chaz43 said:

chaz

Pujols has 19

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@chaz43 said:

@Horse said:

Heh.

It's not about the popularity and the allure, it's about the numbers. Trout is behind the Mick and who knows what the hell this virus thing is going to do.....plus he had a foot injury...plus he's got enough where he never has to work again.....can he hit six hundred plus dingers??? ....so who knows???

chaz

I don’t know if Trout can hit 600+ homers, but the Mick didn’t.

Yaz Master Set