Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What are the European Equivalents to the US pre-1933 Gold Coins?

Dear Coin Crusaders,

I collect both light and dark side coins, but more of the latter. I am learning how wonderful the pre-1933 US gold coins are. Some sell for melt or a tiny bit above even in near UNC or UNC condition. The really pristine ones sell for far far more. There are special dates and common dates. Sounds like something for everyone. Collectors that like history could find something to like as well as gold stackers who want something a little different than common bullion. They are also very popular, recognizable, and very easy to sell. People know what they are.

With all that said, what would be the European equivalent to something as popular, well-known and carries interesting history?

I am going to start by suggesting the gold coins of the Kaiserreich, British sovereigns, Wilhelmina era of the Netherlands, Danish and Swedish crowns of their kings, France Napoleon and Roosters, Swiss Francs, etc. are just as popular, or close to it, recognizable and easy to sell or trade.

I can imagine the Danish and Swedish gold crowns might be lesser known and perhaps not as popular as say British sovereigns, but I am interested in your input. At one point in history, British gold sovereigns were the most trusted gold coin used for transactions worldwide. I am wondering if the Kaiserreich 10 and 20 Marks are at least close to such a status today.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like high grade gold coinage from Great Britain with the initials EIC

I only have one .... it does not sell for melt

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Turkey mints many different kinds of gold coins.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭

Nothing comes close to sovereign history, longevity, worldwide influence or series/sets and subsets that you can collect.