Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

eBay, final day: "Skull & Bones" cathedral tokens from the 1600s (+ over 60 other lots)

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 27, 2020 11:48PM in Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

These were charity tokens from St. Lambert's Cathedral in Liège (now in modern Belgium), during the 1600s.

One piece is dated 1635, another 1655, there are several from 1686 (of two different varieties), and some undated ones which were circa 1680s, as I recall.

All these plus more than 60 other lots of Liège and European coins from the 1700s and earlier have been listed at one-cent starts with no reserves. At this typing, with less than three days to go, there are STILL pieces at one cent with no bids! (Not skullies, mind you- but some of those are still going dirt cheap- and so are some 1600s crown-sized silver pieces).

Here are the eBay listings.

Here is a CoinTalk discussion thread about the skullies and the two source lots.

Y'all can't have this one I cherrypicked out of the source lots. It's going off to PCGS with two others. ;)

Now, since all of this stuff predates 1776, it is admittedly a bit too early-dated to be mentioning on the US Coins B/S/T. But a lot of people had asked me for a heads-up when I was going to list the skullies, and I am sorry to admit I can't remember who all of them were. So I hope you will forgive my posting this on the US side. If two or more people (excluding my two haters) complain, I will delete this posting. Thanks for looking.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2020 11:58PM

Stuff is in its final day now. Most is still going quite cheaply.

People have paid a bit of attention to the skullies, but the last time I looked, there were two silver crown sized coins from the 1600s still going for below melt!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

I must say I don't collect those type of coins BUT I did bid on a couple and got spanked on one.
    and the auction isn't even over yet

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    alexercaalexerca Posts: 246 ✭✭✭

I bid on 4 or 5 had high bid for awhile. Don't have a clue what they are worth!