Home Sports Talk
Options

Thoughts about having the DH in the National League?

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

what do you guys think? I for one am glad, it was a long time coming. I know some will miss the "strategy" portion of the game. I will welcome real hitters hitting and not having to watch another pitcher flail away.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the pitchers could actually hit I would be against it, but there's like 5 pitchers in the entire NL that can actually hold their own. I personally don't need to watch a bunch of guys swinging and missing, standing there looking at 3 pitches with the bat on their shoulder with no intent of swinging, or laying down terrible bunts 8 times per game.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will it speed up the games or slow them down?

In the interest of speeding games up lets just mark down 1 out whenever a pitcher would have batted. In both leagues .

@orioles93 said:
    If the pitchers could actually hit I would be against it, but there's like 5 pitchers in the entire NL that can actually hold their own. I personally don't need to watch a bunch of guys swinging and missing, standing there looking at 3 pitches with the bat on their shoulder with no intent of swinging, or laying down terrible bunts 8 times per game.

Fine pitchers cant hit but you are allowing players to fat and/or useless on the field as DH's

Without a DH Ortiz never even dresses for a game right? Because , and I don't want to put too fine a point on it but , he sucked in the field massively

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

DH rule is affirmative action for shitty fielders ;)

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

I liked it, especially in the World Series. Strategy is a good thing

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get rid of the DH entirely in both leagues. If you can't both field and bat you have no business playing professional baseball.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭

It's about time. Now if they would only make fielders top switching positions for every batter the game would be more fun to watch.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having the DH sucks. That is not debatable.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a traditionalist and favor pitchers batting but I can understand why some prefer to see a DH over a guy whose BA is likely to be around a buck fifty, instead.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

No for me.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

I don't like the DH at all in baseball. A baseball player should both bat and field. Imagine if there had been a DH in 1914 or 1915 when the Babe was just a pitcher. Would he have ever been dealt to the Yanks?