Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Ebay rule I was not aware of

Just found out today that i was unable to purchase a $400 card I won from an auction. When I went to pay for the item my EBAY gift cards wouldnt go through. Called customer service and she told me I already went over my $1500 monthly limit. So, I am out the card, and the seller is out $400...Until he relists the card.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Comments

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didnt know that either. I believe they also have a limit of 8 gift cards per transaction as well.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I didnt know that either. I believe they also have a limit of 8 gift cards per transaction as well.

Its only a 3 card limit per transaction.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley said:

@craig44 said:

Its only a 3 card limit per transaction.

is that new? I know i have used more than 3 before. Is it possible there are no hard and fast rules, but it is determined individually with ebay algorithms?

I take that back, I just looked and on 4-23-2020 ebay changed the rules so that 4 gift cards and $1000 dollars are the transaction limits for gift cards. It is 3 if you use an additional coupon code. thank you for bringing this up

• thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭

Morning,

Could someone explain for me why there is any limit at all? Cards are paid for with Cash at some point in time, Aren't they? So it's the same to me at least, as paying Cash? Huh? Why would E-bay limit the amount of a Sale and therefore their Fees they collect? I just don't get it, but lots of what E-bay does I don't get! Is it Fraud and Fraudgelant Cards? Other reason that an Honest person just doesn't think of?

Sounds similar to an occurrence a couple years back when E-bay wouldn't let me buy something because I had reached my limit on my account! WTF? It's my money and my CC! This was just stupid!

Thanks

YeeHah!

Neil

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

Ebay has become an adventure for not only the small seller but also for buyers, it seems.

I would think that it would not matter as long as they get their cut. Guess not.

@thedutymon11 said:
    Morning,

Could someone explain for me why there is any limit at all? Cards are paid for with Cash at some point in time, Aren't they? So it's the same to me at least, as paying Cash? Huh? Why would E-bay limit the amount of a Sale and therefore their Fees they collect? I just don't get it, but lots of what E-bay does I don't get! Is it Fraud and Fraudgelant Cards? Other reason that an Honest person just doesn't think of?

Sounds similar to an occurrence a couple years back when E-bay wouldn't let me buy something because I had reached my limit on my account! WTF? It's my money and my CC! This was just stupid!

Thanks

YeeHah!

Neil

I would love to hear an answer for this as well. I get tons of ebay cards for Christmas etc. And this limit will really suck.

• thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭

@robert67 said:
    Ebay has become an adventure for not only the small seller but also for buyers, it seems.

I would think that it would not matter as long as they get their cut. Guess not.

One of the Myriad of reasons I quit selling on Fee-Bay for the most part 7 years ago. It had become a Full Time Job to keep up with a side hustle what with the Fee-Bay BS!

YeeHah!

Neil

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

@thedutymon11 said:
    Morning,

Thanks

YeeHah!

Neil

It has something to do with human trafficking. I know I am not going to explain this right and I hope someone smarter than me can help but there are limits on all giftcards of any sort because they are purchased with cash and no way of tracking them or have a fingerprint on them. I know you have to show ID now when buying more than a certain amount..

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭

Some of these guys are definitely using gift cards to hide their card purchases from their wives lol

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was on hold for almost an hour. Thats how long it took Ebay CS to figure out why the gift cards wouldn't work. Not too long ago they would sell $500 Ebay gift cards at the stores in my area. Now all I see is $200 cards. Now I know why.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Would they have allowed you to purchase the $400 card if you would've been willing to put the purchase on a credit card or from funds directly from a bank account or paypal?

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

they will definitely cut you off. in fact, try taking a stab at simply checking the balance of a handful of gift cards on the site -- you won't be able to get past the third one before they cut you off there, too.

i'm sure they're neck-deep in fraud. but seeing as they perpetuate it in other ways, the migraines are well-deserved as far as i'm concerned.

@coolstanley said:
    I was on hold for almost an hour. Thats how long it took Ebay CS to figure out why the gift cards wouldn't work. Not too long ago they would sell $500 Ebay gift cards at the stores in my area. Now all I see is $200 cards. Now I know why.

Can you share? I certainly would like to know why gift cards have been so limited lately.