Home U.S. Coin Forum

Christa McAuliffe Commemorative Coin designs

2»

Comments

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

not my cup of tea so to speak

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2021 7:03PM

The price is too high - way more over melt than the mint used to charge. If the coins were priced at $55 instead, they would probably sell may more - the casual non-collector, even from New Hampshire, is not going to shell out $75 for the coin. If then MInt sold it for $55, subtracting the $10 going to the fundraising cause, $45 is not enough for the mint to provide 1 oz of silver and manufacture the thing?

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    Apparently sales of the Christa McAuliffe coins have not done too well and Dean Kamen, the promoter, is unhappy.

From the New Hampshire Union Leader:
    Dean Kamen issues 'call to action' to promote coins honoring Christa McAuliffe.
    Dean Kamen is flummoxed. Flabbergasted, even.

Flummoxed and flabbergasted that it's a flop? Fool.

• ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭

I do have a set of coins that are Space related, I bought one proof and one unc for the "Space" theme. These two coins when they arrived became my biggest regret purchase from the mint.

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

We don't call it the Christa McAuliffe explosion/disaster. We call it the Challenger explosion/disaster.

The cynic in me says that if you want to make this EDUCATIONAL:

A) You ought to have the Challenger blowing up on the obverse, and on the reverse (the big explosion was courtesy of the liquid hydrogen tank blowing up), the chemical symbols:

2H2 + O2 + heat = 2H2O + energy

or (B) maybe on the obverse a picture of the crew with their last names around the perimeter, with, on the reverse, the logo "Incompetent Management" with a picture of the Challenger blowing up.

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t take it personally Dean, modern commemorative sales are down down down. This one did much better than the law enforcement memorial coins so far

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2021 6:12AM

Anyone remember the colorized basketball coins? For example? If you look at the mint website it sez sold out! No ,product removed and interesting how some items are available but any embarrassment product goes sold out. 🤔

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased one to give as a gift. Modern commems are just not my thing.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dealer Gerry Fortin talked to Kamen over the weekend and reported this -- seateddimevarieties.com/DailyBlog.htm (post for October 6).

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2021 7:23AM

@kiyote said:
    Don’t take it personally Dean, modern commemorative sales are down down down. This one did much better than the law enforcement memorial coins so far

They should have made the law enforcement silver coin with the half dollar design. Big mistake. The half clad has a great design. Oh well

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file