Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1999 Nickelodeon Magazine Kids' Choice Awards Trading Cards

Since I've now mentioned this set in two threads, it's probably a good time to share some scans and what I know about the set. Hopefully there are others who can contribute anything I've missed or correct any mistakes.

Known by PSA as just '1999 Nickelodeon' and listed as a 'Golf Cards' set (https://www.psacard.com/pop/golf-cards/1999/nickelodeon/42459) , only two of the 32 subjects have ever had a copy graded. It should probably really be listed as either 'Multi-Sport' or even 'Non Sport' since there are several athletes included, but they're not the bulk or focus of the set. Individual cards are an odd size measuring 3 3/4 x 2 3/8", but still fit in a standard size PSA holder without the inner bumpers/LPTs.

The 1999 Kids' Choice Awards were aired on Saturday, May 1st and this booklet came out prior, so it's likely a March/April production of that year. The booklet reminds me of the 1981 Smithsonian perforated set with some minor differences:

• No filler, just cards
  • Card layout is four cards per row, two rows instead of the typical 3x3 layout for standard size perforated cards
  • Four sheets of cards instead of two
  • Cards don't quite extend to the borders of the cover, so corners and edges have less chance of damage

Booklet Cover

Booklet Back

Based on the May 1999 issue pictured on the back, I'm not clear if that was another avenue for distribution of these cards or if there may be other subjects.

The full bleed fronts and photo selections make for some really nice looking cards IMHO.
Sheet 1 - Obviously the MJ is the highlight, but Yamaguchi was a pretty big star also. Air Bud was a good boy.

Sheet 2 - Shaq, Moceanu, and back when the Olsen twins were probably only worth a couple hundred million

Sheet 3 - Big Mac and Cynthia Cooper. They really messed up the opportunity to put MJH and Salem at least on the same page.

Sheet 4 - Tiger XRC, Lipinsky, and Beckham's wife. Looks like Tiger and Eddie are big fans of the ladies to their right and who can blame them.

Back Samples

These were a bit tricky to remove the sheets from the spine, but being a heavier cardstock than SIFKs there was less chance of finger indents. One fold each direction and these separated easily.

With a total set population of 22 currently (21 Tiger, 1 MJ), if you had kids receiving the Nick magazine at the time you might want to check those old boxes you're still storing for them. PSA 8 is the highest grade of the 22 (one 9Q), and even at the PSA 5 level a Tiger recently sold for $180.

Hope everyone enjoys some celebrity blast from the past, now back to your regular scheduled programming ...

Comments