Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

German Empire (1871-1918) buy, sell trade

WasserwerksWasserwerks Posts: 41 ✭✭

Any other fellow members dabble in this area? Would love to see what you have.

Collecting world gold, German State silver Marks and other things of interest

Comments

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's one of my main areas of focus. Did you mean to post in the world coin forum? This is in the buy sell trade forum.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

@neildrobertson said:
    It's one of my main areas of focus. Did you mean to post in the world coin forum? This is in the buy sell trade forum.

I've been accumulating 3 Mark coins recently and am looking to expand into the 2 and 5 Mark area as well. Gold Marks as money permits. I have some that are becoming available as I am upgrading. Just getting a feel for who is out here.

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, this is one of my major areas of focus too!

I have some off grade stuff in both silver and gold marks just so I can appreciate the art, the piece of history and to educate myself more on what to look for in terms of condition. Condition is pretty much everything.

I find the 1888 gold marks quite intriguing. I have one that is off grade that I obtained for melt, but it is still very detailed. I would like a high grade one in a holder but they are difficult to price. I mean, I see a large disparity in sold prices for truly gem examples. I still have to educate myself before purchasing one because the risk is high that I could overpay or risk losing out on a great deal. I worry more for the former.

What are some of the highest grades the 1888 10 Mark and 20 Mark earn? At what grade are the prices truly far above the rest? Are their proofs or proof-like finishes for this vintage? I really wanted to purchase a gem example last year and would have gladly paid the reasonable going market rate for it, but none were around at the Long Beach Show. They likely have increased in price since that time, especially with the recent gold surge. The really pristine ones are an owner's pride and probably the best uptick potential.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

I have seen a lot of these gold coins in top grades going for several thousands. Not entirely sure of the population or production numbers for 1888 10M and 20M coins. I would really like to get some proof coins but....some high graded 10M gold is easily 2-3K if not more based on rarity, 20M proofs are strong also. some of the rarities such as 1915 Prussia or 1914 Bavaria in the 4-5K range for a MS63. If i come across any worthy of purchase I may only go after MS or only Hamburg gold at this point in my collection. Do familiarize yourself with the coins and their prices. Wanting something is a lot different than NEEDING something, especially if for a registry set.

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

I have this on my watchlist on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1888-A-GOLD-PRUSSIA-PROOF-20-MARK-FRIEDRICH-III-COIN-PCGS-PROOF-62-CAMEO/332354947007?hash=item4d61e607bf:g:LhgAAOSwqNxcyxQW:sc:USPSPriority!91205!US!-1

According to the description, only 5 have been graded by PCGS. Well, there is also NGC and what about a German based company that does grading (not sure if any exist).

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

I looked that one up. Impressive and not entirely overpriced. I recognize the seller from past browsing. I'm sure you can secure it for a bit less. Yes, PCGS shows 2 in this grade with CAM designation then 3 more I believe in the progressing grades. Highest graded sold for perhaps what one would expect to pay for a coin with that designation. I have not looked up NGC graded ones.