Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

George VI Crowns, 1937 and 1951. What Do You Think? Might be a "Trick" In Here...

Not a lot of silver, even in the 1937 (.4546 Oz net) but a nice crest on the reverse of the 1937 and the always spectacular George and the Dragon on the 1951...

And 1951:

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have this hunch that I would be better served to wait and just be told...

LOL

Could the 37 be from modified matte proof dies? The 1937 crown has just eluded my interest mainly because I have not seen a commercial strike that has made it to the wow level.

As for the 51... There is something different about it. Could it be a VIP instead of the regular issue? The rim seems squared and the dentils sharp but the lettering seems different than the regular issue. But in all fairness, some of the regular issues can look amazing

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not so much the condition as you've gathered, although the 1937 in hand is much nicer than average for a currency....I'll give till tomorrow.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea, but always liked that crest.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, this is a pattern for the obverse of the 1951 Crown. The lettering was rejected and not used on the "regular" examples. It is very similar to the Four Shillings Pattern of 1950.
    The Royal Mint then buffed/rubbed out a probable numerical designation in the Right Lower field of the obverse, so the coin is largely as left the mint, not really a proof so perhaps of specimen quality. It is not graded and likely would not be graded by our hosts.
    The coin came some years ago from the lists of Mark Rasmussen.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking at older threads trying to find one and came across this one. If this is a pattern, seems the older 1899 reverse hub was used. Take a look at the horse and the dragon and then go the other thread started by Airplanenut and look at the pictures... this is clearly what I refer to as a type I reverse which is different than the initial photo/image posted by Airplanenut

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.