Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone randonly getting charged sales tax on coins on ebay?

zas107zas107 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Twice in the last week I was charged sales tax on coins on ebay. Not as a sellers mandate, but directly by ebay. I live in a state where coin sales are non-taxable (incidentally the coins that I purchased were also from states that are tax exempt for coins). They were listed in the correct category as well. Ebay customer service is zero help, was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this.

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

it seems to be inconsistent for me but the internet sales tax is separate from state sales tax.

not sure there is a way to be exempt 100% all the time via internet sales tax.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get taxed on every coin purchase.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cheezhed said:

Me, too.

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@cheezhed said:

Me, too.

Me Three B)

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in New Hampshire. What's sales tax?

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

My state, NC is tax exempt for coins, currency and bullion. They have been accurate not charging it on those, but other items however, they are right on it! :D

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would help if we knew what state you were in.

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

If you live in a state where there should not be a tax on coins, I would double check recent laws. We were not automatically taxed for coins purchased over eBay or APMEX, for example, until recently. It is still not consistently applied, but getting there. It is easy and smooth now that the sales tax is automatically added on internet sales because previously, I think whenever sales tax was not collected, one had to keep in track of the purchases and just pay it when it comes time to file state taxes. Most people would not know to do this and even if an accountant was doing the taxes, s/he could not help unless the client produced the purchase receipts in the first place. I doubt accountants even ask their clients if they purchased anything out of state where taxes were not calculated. This makes the average person vulnerable. For example, if the person ran for Congress one day, the opponent can run ads that reveal s/he did not report/pay taxes. Ignorance of the law does not exonerate you from the law, right? I am just throwing it out there. I know discussion on taxes can get crazy.

In the case of the OP, it may be a case where taxes are collected where it should not be. There are also numerous cases where taxes should be collected, but it falls through the cracks.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    It would help if we knew what state you were in.

In Pennsylvania

• Options

I contacted ebay and they agreed that taxes should not have been collected, and they claim they will be refunded, but we shall see.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're in a state with exemptions, you should mention that at time of purchase.
    Contact dealer and state it. THEN complete the purchase.

• Options

it is still intermittent for me. i may need to go through the invoices and see which states sales are coming from that incur tax.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@zas107 said:
    I contacted ebay and they agreed that taxes should not have been collected, and they claim they will be refunded, but we shall see.

that is interesting and if true, means that the internet sales tax does NOT supersede a state's tax status for numismatics. i am under the impression this was not to be the case MAYBE unless someone had an RRMC.

i just ran through my invoices and thankfully pp made it so you can zip right down the list of payments received and open/shut the invoices very quickly. no pages to load.

i'm charged about 50% of the states although CA is a fair amount of the sales and they get taxed.

odd as MI has one that was taxed and one that wasn't.

• Options

latest tax-related message from eBay

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

if you call the number in the site map, they will research your purchase and and state tax laws and send you a refund. it takes about a week to get your money back

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kansas woohoo! :*

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on where the purchase is coming or going to...and sometimes what the item is. I occasionally win something from HA, if it is a coin, then no, if it is currency then yes.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    it seems to be inconsistent for me but the internet sales tax is separate from state sales tax.

I don't understand this. What is an "Internet sales tax"? I've heard of states charging taxes on all sales to residents of that state, but nothing like you describe.

• Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

If you are purchasing for resale, and you have the resale certificate on file with ebay, you are exempt. But if you want to buy for personal use, you need a second ebay account.

• Options

@daltex said:
    I don't understand this. What is an "Internet sales tax"? I've heard of states charging taxes on all sales to residents of that state, but nothing like you describe.

Internet sales tax = sales that were previously untaxed online that are NOW taxed. hope it helps.

• Options

I saw this on transactions myself this week for sales tax being charged on coins/numismatics to Pennsylvania. They should be exempt. I contacted them myself and supposedly they forwarded on the complaint to the sales tax team but I encourage everyone affected to contact them as well and let them know to fix it!

ebay.com/help/home

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you complain loudly enough they may reverse it if you should not be taxed. Also a route around it is to have your state tax department send their tax department information on why you should not be taxed and to reverse it.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@daltex said:

Internet sales tax = sales that were previously untaxed online that are NOW taxed. hope it helps.

I used to live in a couple of those states. I was required to pay a use tax which was equivalent to my sales tax on my income tax returns.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file