Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

The Roman Emperor Who Turned Me on to the Dark Side

harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gordian III. Always picking up nice bronzes.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2020 5:26PM

Awesome! Why him?

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@harasha said:
    The dealer from whom I purchased my Lincoln pennies had a small number of ancient Romans. I was intrigued, but wary of asking a price, being 11 or 12 years of age. Finally, I screwed up enough courage to ask the price of one of the antoniniani; $3.95! Helluva lot cheaper than the pennies I collected. I was hooked. That first coin was of Gordian III and I have had a special fondness, ever since.

Haha, leave it to Gordy III to get you hooked, it's great he made so many coins that they are very affordable, even now. Better than a common LRB or uncleaned slug.

Great looking Bronze.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

He appears rather young!

• EddiEddi Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Sestertius of Gordianus, @harasha . It has a nice patina.
    Gordianus was also the emperor who re-kindled my interest in ancients. I found this one detecting many years ago, a find which started my love for Roman bronzes.

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eddi I have one of those, too!

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2020 2:06PM

Interesting and same story. One of my first, if not first, ancients was also a low grade but quite presentable low grade antoninianus of Gordian 3 when I was still in school. Cost me $2 and I still have it. I studied the heck out of that thing with the few books I could get and it introduced me to the wide variety of types available for very modest cost which fit my budget perfectly. It really turned me on to ancients in a serious way; not bad for two bucks.

Ironically, altho not a primary interest at the moment, I bought an interesting Syrian tet of Gordian this morning before I saw this post. Maybe Gordian's coins are the numismatic equivalent of "comfort foods."

What fun!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am still searching for that "one coin" that would make me go "ALL IN"