Home Sports Talk
Options

Who is the greatest college running back of all time?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who's the best running back to ever do it at the college level?

Comments

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

Herschel Walker

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Archie Griffin - Only two time Heisman trophy winner in history

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2020 5:12AM

OJ Simpson, Charles White, Marcus Allen, Ricky Bell, Anthony Davis, Mike Garrett, Reggie Bush. Show me another team that has had more all time better RB’s As far as the best ever? Herschel Walker, Tony Dorsett, Barry Sanders are in the conversation

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    OJ Simpson, Charles White, Marcus Allen, Ricky Bell, Anthony Davis, Mike Garrett, Reggie Bush. Show me another team that has had more all time better RB’s As far as the best ever? Herschel Walker, Tony Dorsett, Barry Sanders are in the conversation

I’ll take PSUs running back group all time over USC. Saquon Barkley, Franco Harris, Ki-Jana Carter, Curt Warner, Larry Johnson, John Cappelletti, Lydell Mitchell, Lenny Moore, Curtis Enis, Blair Thomas. But as far as best all time, gotta go with Archie Griffin or Herschel Walker.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

@orioles93 said:

@perkdog said:

I’ll take PSUs running back group all time over USC. Saquon Barkley, Franco Harris, Ki-Jana Carter, Curt Warner, Larry Johnson, John Cappelletti, Lydell Mitchell, Lenny Moore, Curtis Enis, Blair Thomas. But as far as best all time, gotta go with Archie Griffin or Herschel Walker.

And I thought PSU was LB U! Wow that stacks up pretty well

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barry Sanders. In 1988 he rushed for over 2600 yards and 37 tds.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Wow a Mark sighting in Sportstalk. Been awhile

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

All depends on how much you value peak over career. Barry Sanders in 1988 had the greatest season ever. Period. But he only started for one year.

If you're talking career, then you're looking at guys like Walker, Dorsett, Griffin, and Bo. Personally, because he had four 1000 yard seasons AND a 2000-yd season, I'd go with Dorsett.

But Barry was, without a doubt, the best for one year.

• Options

Ron Dayne leads the NCAA in career rushing yards? I knew he was a beast but forgot he was the rushing leader.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Ron Dayne leads the NCAA in career rushing yards? I knew he was a beast but forgot he was the rushing leader.

Check that. He SHOULD be but they didn’t count his Bowl Games which is nonsensical since they count Pumphreys

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Herschel Walker.

• Options
    edited June 20, 2020 7:12AM

@perkdog said:
    OJ Simpson, Charles White, Marcus Allen, Ricky Bell, Anthony Davis, Mike Garrett, Reggie Bush. Show me another team that has had more all time better RB’s

Ohio State - Archie Griffin, Ezekiel Elliott, Eddie George, Keith Byars, Hopalong Cassady, Beanie Wells, Robert Smith, Carlos Hyde, JK Dobbins

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@perkdog said:

Wisconsin - Another program with a long list of great running backs.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@perkdog said:
    OJ Simpson, Charles White, Marcus Allen, Ricky Bell, Anthony Davis, Mike Garrett, Reggie Bush. Show me another team that has had more all time better RB’s

Ohio State - Archie Griffin, Ezekiel Elliott, Eddie George, Keith Byars, Hopalong Cassady, Beanie Wells, Robert Smith, Carlos Hyde, JK Dobbins

Formidable for sure 👍👍

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D you guys with your incessant watching of college football :D

9 out of 10 the dummies on college teams never amount to anything in real football , why waste time watching the 9 losers who will be serving you fries 2 years later ?

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

9 out of 10 the dummies on college teams never amount to anything in real football , why waste time watching the 9 losers who will be serving you fries 2 years later ?

😂😂😂. Lots of the names mentioned will compare bank accounts with you any day bud

• Options

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

😂😂😂. Lots of the names mentioned will compare bank accounts with you any day bud

@ThespiritofGlicker wrote
    no you are right ,and I'll watch them after they get in the NFL . Once all the Al Bundy types are weeded out .There are like 6000 colleges in the USA , I went to 2 of them and never watched any games they played.

I'm a complicated guy perk :D I do feel nostalgia for real pro sports at least when I was a kid not now , and obviously sports played on sega genesis consoles. Pretty sure college football is an elaborate con job to get real students (that can read and write and do thier times tables and goesintas ) and taxpayers to foot the bill for a minor league football system so the billionaire owners don't have to part with the money.

It took me a while I'll admit , and I'm embarrassed to say that even after that I still thought the Olympics was real for a little while too.

corona might help me break the tv sports habit tho , if all the leagues get shut down and I realize I don't miss it I'll be free for 10 or 15 more hours a week to do something useful.

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

Herschel Walker.

Here he is against my alma mater as as Freshman. Brutal.

https://youtu.be/8Nc2XsimM90

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rather than argue about who is best, how about naming 3 from each decade going back 100 years... Starting with 1920-30 going forward. I would rather not argue about the limitations of some athletes given when they played and who they played against. It is not reasonable to compare Ron Dayne to Red Grange.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    Rather than argue about who is best, how about naming 3 from each decade going back 100 years... Starting with 1920-30 going forward. I would rather not argue about the limitations of some athletes given when they played and who they played against. It is not reasonable to compare Ron Dayne to Red Grange.

True a lot of college superstars did rack up yards against tomato can opponents .

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@ThespiritofGlicker wrote
    no you are right ,and I'll watch them after they get in the NFL . Once all the Al Bundy types are weeded out .There are like 6000 colleges in the USA , I went to 2 of them and never watched any games they played.

I'm a complicated guy perk :D I do feel nostalgia for real pro sports at least when I was a kid not now , and obviously sports played on sega genesis consoles. Pretty sure college football is an elaborate con job to get real students (that can read and write and do thier times tables and goesintas ) and taxpayers to foot the bill for a minor league football system so the billionaire owners don't have to part with the money.

It took me a while I'll admit , and I'm embarrassed to say that even after that I still thought the Olympics was real for a little while too.

corona might help me break the tv sports habit tho , if all the leagues get shut down and I realize I don't miss it I'll be free for 10 or 15 more hours a week to do something useful.

👍👍

• Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a UGA grad, I am definitely partial to Herschel Walker and I would have to argue that UGA is RBU as well with guys like Robert Edwards, Rodney Hampton, Kevin McLee, Tim Worley, Terrell Davis, Lars Tate, Knowshon Moreno, Charley Trippi, Frank Sinkwich, Knowshon Moreno, Garrison Hearst, Sony Michel, Nick Chubb, Todd Gurley, Thomas Brown and Willie McClendon. I'm sure I am leaving others off.

• Options

@ssdawg77 said:
    As a UGA grad, I am definitely partial to Herschel Walker and I would have to argue that UGA is RBU as well with guys like Robert Edwards, Rodney Hampton, Kevin McLee, Tim Worley, Terrell Davis, Lars Tate, Knowshon Moreno, Charley Trippi, Frank Sinkwich, Knowshon Moreno, Garrison Hearst, Sony Michel, Nick Chubb, Todd Gurley, Thomas Brown and Willie McClendon. I'm sure I am leaving others off.

please edit your post and remove sony michele ,

signed all patriots fans :#

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just happy to see bronco talking college sports with us.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

barry sanders is the correct answer.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2020 7:33PM

Juice.