Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Newp Justin II Unlisted Solidus

Heritage auction write up:

Justin II (AD 565-578). AV light-weight solidus (of 22 siliquae) (4.04 gm). Constantinople, ca. AD 567-578. Helmeted and cuirassed facing bust, bearded, holding globe surmounted by Victory on globe and shield / Constantinopolis enthroned facing, head right, holding spear and globe; ӨЄ//OB+. DOC 138 var.(Theoupolis mint; not bearded). SB 376 var. (same). The bearded variety is unlisted in the major references. Extremely Rare. Die break on obverse. Good Very Fine. Ex Classical Numismatic Group E-Auction 263 (31 August 2011), lot 384.

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

With that generously wide flan, surprised it didn't get a major clipping.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2020 12:52PM

@SaorAlba said:
    With that generously wide flan, surprised it didn't get a major clipping.

Very true. Shame it has a couple of digs on the outside reverse but I was looking for a Theoupolis mint one and when an unlisted type came up, I couldn't pass on it as I probably won't have a chance to buy another one.

The beard isn't very pronounced, more of a stubble but still cool

• Options

I did start this collection with the aim of collecting one Solidus from each different ruler, but it's fast turning into a Justin II type set 😄

• Options

Not quite the same, but try to find an English Noble from Edward III that hasn't had some of it's outer rims purloined for their shavings. I did, and it cost me a lot of £ and when my wife got my cheque statement from the bank whilst I was in Ukraine I got a 3am call asking what for I had spend so much dosh on. Sometime I might venture into ancient gold, the Noble is my oldest gold.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

I would love a Noble too. I'm trying to stick to Solidus coins but ended up buying a French Charles VI ECU D'Or. Partly because it was a great price and we'll, it's hammered gold. How can you turn down hammered gold. It's nice to chat with you again SoarAlba. I've been off the forums far too long.

• Options

@Hussulo said:
    I would love a Noble too. I'm trying to stick to Solidus coins but ended up buying a French Charles VI ECU D'Or. Partly because it was a great price and we'll, it's hammered gold. How can you turn down hammered gold. It's nice to chat with you again SoarAlba. I've been off the forums far too long.

Right because you have been gardening and posting picks on facebook of your loverly Scots flowerage. :)

• Options

@SaorAlba said:

@Hussulo said:

Right because you have been gardening and posting picks on facebook of your loverly Scots flowerage. :)

Yep that's true 😄

We've actually had some sun lately, which is a rare sight in Scotland