Home Sports Talk
Options

Who is the greatest college quarterback of all time?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, we are scraping the bottom of the barrell for sports stories, so here we go. I was watching Urban Meyer talking about the best college quarterbacks of all time not too long ago, and he picked Tim Tebow as the college GOAT at quarterback. Is this your choice for the greatest that ever did it at the college level?

Comments

• Options
    edited June 14, 2020 11:16PM

Yeah.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forget the guy's name, or the team or the year, but that college QB who used to drop back to throw a pass, then throw the football down field, then run thru the field and catch his own pass, and score touchdown after touchdown, was truly an amazing college QB.

Oh now i recall his name, it was Tom Brady, and according to Patriots homers, Brady also did this his entire career in the NFL.

• Options

Yep.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great topic Double D, there have been some awesome QB’s in College the funny thing about them is most of them never panned out in the NFL.. I need to give it some thought

• Options

Tim Tebow, Vince Young, Matt Leinhart are a few...

• Options

Yeah, the NFL has been brutal to great college quarterbacks. I can't wait to see how Joe Burrow and Tua Tagovailoa hold up in the NFL.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Yeah, the NFL has been brutal to great college quarterbacks. I can't wait to see how Joe Burrow and Tua Tagovailoa hold up in the NFL.

Burrow might have had the best season ever last year. I think Cincy destroys him though

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ryan Leaf, Doug Flutie

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's tough to compare Tim Tebow, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Cam Newton, RG3, Peyton Manning, etc to the greats of the past like Sammy Baugh, Roger Staubach, etc. The game changed so much in college in a short amount of time. Even the QBs of the 80s and 90s are hard to compare to the ones of today and the 2000s. If I had to pick though, I'd say Vince Young and Tim Tebow are the top 2.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

Roger Staubach...... a Heisman QB that actually had a successful NFL career. A real leader.

• Options

I remember Tim Tebow took a lot of heat because of his throwing mechanics. At Florida, Tebow was under a spread option with a lot of focus on the power running of the quarterback, so he wasn't too prepared for the NFL way of doing things.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

When coming up with the best college QB of all time, their pro career should have nothing to do with it. It only matters what they did in college.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

A lot of forgotten names out there like Chris Weinke, Vinnie Testaverde, Gino Torretta come to mind. Bleacher Report did an article and Johnny Manziel came up as #1.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a career, I think I'd go with Tim Tebow and Vince Young. What Vince Young did to Michigan in the Rose Bowl, and then repeated the following year to win the natty against USC...unreal.

For a single season, it's more like Joe Burrow and Cam Newton.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Andre Ware was a Heisman Winner and good QB, still think Tebow may be at the top.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sayheywyo said:
    Roger Staubach...... a Heisman QB that actually had a successful NFL career. A real leader.

As an Eagles fan, Staubach's name sorta caught in my throat, but he was the first name I thought of. I just don't have the savvy to know if he was the best >>college << QB, I'm too young to remember that part of his career.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dwayne Haskins

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

ty detmer put up some crazy numbers for byu

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Many different eras over the last 100+ years, but I would have to go with Tim Tebow's body of work. Heisman trophy winner and in the running several times, plus two national championships, plus several records that still stand ... yup, he would be at the top of my list.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll go with Peyton

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

The greatest I have seen as an adult, IMO.... Tebow.