Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Another Russian Coin

Does anyone know the story behind 1917 silver kopeks? Their value seems to outsize their mintage ... were some destroyed? I have this one 15 kopek example.

Also wondering where the best places might be to trade Russian coins. I live in the northeastern U.S.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options

Whoops!
    Here is the obverse

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd have to look in the Krause catalog, but I am pretty sure some of them were minted in Osaka Japan during 1917. Which was a bit odd, Russia didn't have a good diplomatic relationship with Japan after the 1905 war, and even continuing well into the Soviet era - relations were not really restored until ca. 1955-6.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possibly minted in Petrograd. Check en.ucoin.net for more info. Last year of mintage on that particular coin. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall