Home Q & A Forum

Chinese characters- writing, can someone help please?

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recently I purchased a small coin collection (mostly Chinese and a few old Canadian coins) from an elderly Oriental lady.
In the box and amongst the coins I bought, were some pictures showing an interesting item made of white rectangle tiles .
and one black one.
The total number of tiles is around over 4,000… a large number. and if these are ivory wow….wow
However one of them is black and has writing on it, both sides.. The writing on the only black tile is in gold.
It looks like a black piece of what could be onyx or some other black material.
The white tiles could be ?? very old Ivory?
I have identified the numbers printed on one side of the black tile as being a phone number for the** City of Guilin** in the province of Guangxi.
However, mighty Google could not help shedding any light on to this mystery.
I asked the elderly Chinese Lady what it is.. she was very secretive and suggested: my husband dead, very old, very old. you find out, no tell, we make deal, much money”. you find out.. phone then.
She is definitely not amongst the “I have no money” people, as she lives in a fairly expensive area.
The Chinese coins were really nothing special but she said she has more " in bank".
I am now very curious** what the writing on the black tile says.**
Hopefully, someone can read it and let me know.

Or help me along with this. ( my horoscope for June said: you will find fortune, but it does not come easy

Thank you for your help
It is much appreciated

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• happycollectinghappycollecting Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭

The tiles are made of bamboo. I asked my friend to take a look at the Chinese characters on the side with phone number. The last 3 characters said "bamboo tile factory".

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

@happycollecting said:
    The tiles are made of bamboo. I asked my friend to take a look at the Chinese characters on the side with phone number. The last 3 characters said "bamboo tile factory".

Thank you so much for your help and effort...
    have to admit, I was hoping it would have been Ivory
    anyway
    you were a great help :)
    Thanks
    H

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

That cool.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quoting the elderly woman kinda made me chuckle. So it's a bamboo mat. Or tablecovering. Are they connected together with cord? Use the Google and let us know if big money, okay, you buy, no tell anybody. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, hold the phone. It's a tatami mat. No clue on how to date it.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

thanks everyone... it sure helped a lot to finally know what it is.
    H

a tatami mat is made in Japan and is not made out of tiles ike the subject mat.