Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Super Low Cost Coin Photography System

I've built quite a few coin photo systems for folks on this and other coin forums and groups, and most of them have been based on bellows for adjusting focus and magnification. A while back (2013) there was a thread on another forum where a member asked "what is the best system I can get for <$400?", and I recommended a simple and inexpensive system that met the needs with very high quality. That thread has been one of the most popular in the forum, and many folks have successfully put together the system over the years. You can read the thread here (but prepare yourself...it's 39 pages long!):

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=158182

The weakest link in the "<$400" setup is the recommendation of using a tripod. Adding a multi-hundred dollar copy stand was not an option to keep within the budget, and a tripod can do the job, but is far from optimum for coin photography. I've pondered over the years making a copy stand available for folks wanting to build the "<$400" setup, but until last year all my systems were built upon fairly expensive microscope stands. The supply of these stands has dwindled over time, and the cost has gone up, so last year I started building my own stands based on readily available components. My first such system was System-9, as you can see here:

http://www.macrocoins.com/example-system-9.html

This is a very high quality system, with a fine focus block, dual-adjust bellows mount, apochromatic duplication lens, and is tall enough to frame large medals, full slabs, or even proof and mint sets. Problem is this system is fairly expensive with its granite-composite base, world-class lens, precision focus, and must ship in two boxes due to its height. I sold quite a few, but it seems the cost would limit popularity, so I created System-X:

http://www.macrocoins.com/example-system-x.html

My concept for System-X was to offer the most important functions of System-9, but at a lower cost. System-X incoporates a wood base, which while lighter than the composite base of System-9, is larger and thus still has great stability. I substituted a Nikon 75mm lens for the apochromatic duplication lens of System-9, and made the column 12" tall so that it can be shipped in a single Large Flat Rate Box. Overall this reduced the price significantly, and System-X has been very popular. Still, System-X has a feature that is overkill for many folks...the fine focus block. This block adds significantly to the cost, and is primarily useful for folks who are doing precise focusing for variety details shots, including focus stacking. For folks just doing full-coin photos, the fine focus block is not really needed (though it is very nice to use), so I created System-X2. This system is identical to System-X but with a focus rail added to the bellows for full-coin focusing, and removal of the fine-focus block.Ironically, I don't have a System-X2 page on my website, but it has been my most popular system since I introduced it late last year. But even System-X2 has proven to be too expensive for many folks just starting out in coin collecting and photography, so I have gone back to the "<$400" setup, and created a low cost copy stand to complement it. The result is my new System-400, which you can see here:

http://www.macrocoins.com/example-system-400.html

This system in basic form (Camera, Lens, and Copy Stand) costs $390, staying within the spirit of the "<$400" setup. I give cost breakdown on the website including options such as lights, diffusers, velvet/gray transfer disk, etc. And even though this system is so economical, it does not compromise on image quality!

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com

Comments

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just picked up the el-nikkor 135 for my D200 and PB6. Thank you for all your help.

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2020 6:06AM

Long overdue, but thank you for that thread. Because of it, I purchased that setup in early 2014 and went from cell phone pics to this in a matter of hours:
    Couldn't justify an expensive macro lens and the duplicating lens + bellows work just as great.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will your system work on an iPad?

• Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    Will your system work on an iPad?

I don't think the Canon software is compatible with iOS, but the system can be used standalone and images transferred to the iPad.

• Options

Bumping this to let folks know that the Jansjo LED lights I've used with my systems for a decade now have been discontinued. The IKEA replacement does not have a flexible enough neck to be useful for coins.

I've been evaluating a new light that is similar to the Jansjo, and it's working pretty well. Unfortunately it is harder to integrate since it comes only in a clamp style. I ended up building a system for a collector who wanted to do large medals, and decided to integrate the new lamps. I mounted them to a bracket that can move up/down with the bellows of one of my System-9 stands. Take a look at the result below. This System-9 has the new lights and a lens-mounted diffuser, and I have made markings to allow quick dialing-in of coin sizes from Dimes up to 100mm medals.:

• Options

Bump to let folks know that I am working on an adjustable diffuser which will give flexibility for different coin sizes. My current diffusers are either for Raw coins (see diffuser in System-9 above) or for particular size Slabbed coins. I'm hoping to offer a diffuser which can be adjusted across the full range of slabbed coin sizes, making an overall much cheaper solution. I will post results when available.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great source for coin photography equipment. Very knowledgeable!

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @rmpsrpms for selflessly helping so many folks with their quest to photograph their coins :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Thanks guys for the kind comments.

I have completed the adjustable diffuser for slabbed coins. It is adjustable to optimize the lighting for each coin size to give highest angle lighting, with variable diffusion, without causing glare off the slab surface.

I built an example System-X2 which has this diffuser, and it also has the new lights that I found to replace the Jansjo's which are now almost impossible to get. Check out the overall result below:

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmpsrpms said:
    Thanks guys for the kind comments.

I have completed the adjustable diffuser for slabbed coins. It is adjustable to optimize the lighting for each coin size to give highest angle lighting, with variable diffusion, without causing glare off the slab surface.

I built an example System-X2 which has this diffuser, and it also has the new lights that I found to replace the Jansjo's which are now almost impossible to get. Check out the overall result below:

Very nice!

I’d love one of these.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to echo the comments above having just purchased the 400 system for my Nikon D3300 camera. Ray has been helpful getting me started and after a pretty short time my pictures are much better than what I was getting with a cell phone. Here is a comparison after about 45 minutes of messing around (cell to my new rig):

This is definitely and art and science, and I have a lot to learn, but I'm happy with the results thus far.

• Options
    edited July 31, 2020 1:18PM

If you already have a camera and macro lens, but need a solid copy stand, you can buy just the copy stand portion of my System-9, with either the composite or wood base. I need to know the height range you need so I can configure the Arca rail and clamp(s). PM me with your details. Pricing is as follows:

Composite Base (gray color): $80
    Wood Base (Bare): $20
    12" Column with Arca clamp and plate (for lenses <90mm): $100
    18" Column with Arca clamp and plate (for 90-100mm lenses): $120
    24" Column with 2 Arca Clamps and plate (for 105-150mm lenses): $160

Copy Stand Options
    Black textured surface: +$10
    Pair Integrated LED Lights: $85
    Focus Rail (can add to any column): +$65
    Fine Focus Z-Stage (for variety details focusing): $100
    XY Stage (for variety details composing): +$100
    Lens-mounted diffuser (For raw OR one size slab): $40
    Reversible Photo Black / True Grey transfer disk : $25

• Options

My last commission, just completed and shipped, is probably my most advanced system yet. It is built upon the System-X2 core, so it has a focus rail rather than a fine-focus block, but my client wanted to be able to shoot coins with "pseudo-axial" lighting. This necessitates that the coin be tilted toward the light so that it shines directly off the coin and into the lens. To achieve this I included a goniometer so the coin can be precisely tilted at any angle, and a new diffuser design. The system also includes the new Jansjo-replacement lights, and a Rodenstock 75mm Apo-Rodagon D M1:1 duplication lens to give brilliant and color-correct images. And finally, my client wanted to be able to shoot full slabs with the system, but to do that with the Rodenstock lens would have required a very tall stand and significant modifications. Instead, I realized that I could incorporate an additional Arca clamp and plate on the BACKSIDE of the stand, so that the camera could be removed and mounted with the 18-55mm "kit" lens for full slab or large medal shooting. Taken all together this is a very capable system!

I am able to offer the "Backside Copy Stand" option for any of my systems which utilize the aluminum extrusion for a column, so any of my System-9, System-X, or System-X2 stands, for $110. PM me if you want to add this option to an existing stand you have purchased from me.

Here are some pics of the new "System-X3". Let me know any questions about it!

Here is System-X3 configured for slab shots (this can be added to any System-9/X/X2)

Here is System-X3 configured for straight-shooting using the new diffuser:

This toned Peace Dollar (my client's coin) was shot through the slab in the above configuration:

Here is System-X3 configured for pseudo-axial lighting with new diffuser and goniometer:

Here is the same toned Peace Dollar shot through the slab with the pseudo-axial configuration:

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmpsrpms said:

Here is the same toned Peace Dollar shot through the slab with the pseudo-axial configuration:

Looks great!

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

bookmarked. thanks rmp

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Note that this system works perfectly for raw coins, but for slabbed coins there is a lot of reflection off the slab surface that must be removed in post-processing. Here is what the out-of-camera image looked like:

• Options
    smalltimesmalltime Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

I would like to photograph my coins and I have tried a tripod, but i never seem to get the lighting right and am camera stupid as to adjustments it would allow. I have a Canon EOS Rebel T3. Any suggestions?

• Options

@smalltime said:
    I would like to photograph my coins and I have tried a tripod, but i never seem to get the lighting right and am camera stupid as to adjustments it would allow. I have a Canon EOS Rebel T3. Any suggestions?

What lens are you using? Usually the problem with lighting is that the lens gets in the way. Are you doing raw or slabbed coins?

• Options

EFS 18-55 lens. I want to photograph both raw and slabbed. I have screwed on different magnifiers to the lens and manual focus and pictures are still crap. Can't capture the details well and the reflections are nuts. I don't really want to spend a bunch of money for this as it is just for me. Frustrating!

• Options

I only recommend the 18-55mm lens for full-slabs, sets, notes, etc. It can't resolve detail on smaller items. For full-coin shots down to smaller than dimes, I'd go with the same lens I put on the System-400Q and 500Q, the Nikon 75mm EL Nikkor. It's small in diameter so easy to get lighting in, and the longer focal length gets you farther from the coin. You need extensions, a bellows, or a helicoid to focus though as it can't focus on its own.

• Options

Thank you for the information.