Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

Delays in Registered Mail shipments to Europe

I thought the group might be interested in information from the USPS regarding a registered mail package I sent to a dealer in Europe that hasn't yet been delivered.

The package was mailed from my local post office on May 16, as registered mail. It got to the Jamaica NY distribution center on May 20 and was noted on that date as having been processed and "in transit to the destination." I called the USPS a couple of days ago (it is extraordinarily difficult to get to a live human being at the Postal Service - took me about 30 minutes of various work-arounds) to see what the story was and to open an inquiry and was told that shipments from that center to Europe are significantly delayed due to the lack of airplanes flying to Europe. The USPS rep thought things were beginning to break up and I should expect some movement in a week or two. But he did set up a case for me, inasmuch as the package was registered.

As of now, no change. I am curious if any forum members have had any difficulties such as mine, in either direction to/from Europe.

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recommendation, hands down, Fedex.

• Options
    superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭

Yes, Zohar. Received a coin from the UK and sent it back for a refund. Sent it registered but it was sent to the wrong collection pick up place, they tried only once to deliver it, never made a second attempt nor left a note. Coin was then sent back to the US without having been scanned in the system. Have A second inquiry made but I am sure that it was stolen in the UK. Insurance is supposed to cover it by the UK firm but who knows when.

• Options
    superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭

And yes, the firm said if I ever receive it to send by Fedex. Wish they would have said that from the start

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Asia also. I sent an Express Mail envelope to my son in Thailand on April 28th. Got to Jamaica, NY on May1. From there the tracking ends. I couldn't get a live human to talk to at the Post Office's 800 number. When I mailed it my local PO said delivery would be May12th. Paid $67 to have the USPS have no idea where the envelope is.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    gscoinsgscoins Posts: 288 ✭✭✭

An update:

My package is still noted on the website as being in transit, but i do have new information for anyone who has sent mail to Europe recently. I was able to speak to a USPS rep yesterday, who told me that, because of the lack of flights to Europe from the USA, the Postal Service decided to send mail to many destinations in Europe by sea in containers (take a look at https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/). There have been five such shipments to Europe and one to Brazil. While the rep couldn't confirm where my package was, she was pretty certain it was in the fifth European shipment, due in to Rotterdam on or about June 23. There will be further delays in getting the packages distributed throughout Europe; I've told my guy to expect it sometime in early to mid-July.

Frustrating, but not unexpected in light of the pandemic situation around the world.

• Options
    HistmanHistman Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

My coin has been stuck in Moscow customs since April 29th.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Histman said:
    My coin has been stuck in Moscow customs since April 29th.

My model train Russian house kits have been stuck in Sheremtyvevo Customs house since the same date. Kind of frustrating for my supplier in Krasnodar as he is getting nowhere with Rossiya Pochta and I am getting nowhere with USPS. Just wish I really knew where, when and if I will ever get the package.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even domestic Registered is horrible.

My package sat in Kearny, NJ for a week before going to Jamaica, NY, where it sits now. It’ll probably be there another week before hopping a plane to LAX. Estimated total elapsed time to PCGS, about a month.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

stuck in Russia??? "handshake" will always help...

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    stuck in Russia??? "handshake" will always help...

A handshake with 500 rubles in your palm.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21