Home Sports Talk
Options

Dalvin Cook hold out

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

Minnesota Vikings pro bowl running back Dalvin Cook is not participating in any team related activities until and unless he receives what he determines to be a reasonable deal. Evidently the Vikings contract proposals to Cook have demonstrated they they are a quarterback first team. This off season, the Vikings gave quarterback Kirk Cousins, who had one year left on his deal, a contract extension paying him $30 million per season. Kirk Cousins will make $150 million over 5 seasons, meanwhile Dalvin Cook has one year at $1.3 million left on his contract. Kirk Cousins will make as much in one season as Cook hopes to make in three seasons, which explains why contract talks have stalled and threaten to remain that way until a deal is worked out.

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not surprising.

I was wondering if this would happen. The guy is a GREAT running back but he gets injured A LOT.

In three years he has 457 rushes, in his first three seasons Ezekiel Elliot had 868.

I read the story too. Is it some kind of surprise the Vikings are a QB first team? isn't EVERY team a QB first team? Cousins hasn't missed a game in five years.

The Vikings are also pretty close to being out of money (?) and they don't seem to take to kindly to players making "waves".

Cook is taking a BIG risk holding out. Running backs are not valued like they used to be. Case in point Todd Gurley.

I hope this is just a negotiating "ploy" and the Vikings can sign him. Better buy insurance on that contract!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

He has had his share of injuries his first 2 seasons in the league but he was pretty durable last season till the end.

As good as he is, I wouldn't break the bank for him given that history.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    He has had his share of injuries his first 2 seasons in the league but he was pretty durable last season till the end.

As good as he is, I wouldn't break the bank for him given that history.

I am a big Cook fan, but he was pretty average the second half of the year. Any way you look at it he hasn't proven he can be "the man", until he can show that he is durable enough to be a full time player for the entire year, he should not be pais as if he is.

The Vikings still need the ability to improve the offensive line.

I hate the salary cap.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

Thank you JoeBanzai - that sums up exactly what I was thinking.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think he showed last year that he is worth more than the $1.3m he is supposed to get this year. But with the injury history I certainly wouldn't pay him Zeke money or even close to it. Alexander Mattison looked pretty good last year as the backup to, so they could always just go with him.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I’m looking to spend big money it’s going to be on QB, OL, DB and WR before a RB. I like Cook and definitely agree he is worth more than whatever he is going to make this year but I’m not sure I’d ever spend enough to make my RB amongst the highest paid in the league.

• Options

@orioles93 said:
    I think he showed last year that he is worth more than the $1.3m he is supposed to get this year. But with the injury history I certainly wouldn't pay him Zeke money or even close to it. Alexander Mattison looked pretty good last year as the backup to, so they could always just go with him.

I'll gladly agree he's worth more than he's making. He is also under contract for this year.

Holding out while still under contract could cost him a lot.

I went back and looked at last year game by game and he was very average for the last 6 games. IF he needs to be healthy to be an excellent back, he's either going to have to stop getting hurt, or he's not going to be worth a whole lot.

Mattison looked very good, but then when Dalvin got "nicked up", so did he.

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Packers were very happy not to see him in the second matchup last season. Vikes a different team without him.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options

@ADG said:
    Packers were very happy not to see him in the second matchup last season. Vikes a different team without him.

Packer won both games, so Dalvin was not a huge factor.

• Options

If Cook holds out and doesn't report, under the new changes in the collective bargaining agreement, he will lose a year of service and be unable to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year.

He won't be holding out.