Home Sports Talk
Options

Randy Johnson was the last 300 game winner.....will he be the last ever? Who might get to 300?

MLBdaysMLBdays Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

What ya got?

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe Justin Verlander.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not any time soon. Only if the game changes in some way more advantageous to pitchers.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Starting pitchers are pulled earlier than in the past, pitch counts are followed closely, and even with more information on health, they have more injuries. It could be a tough number to break

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2020 2:16PM

Would be tough at this point. I think you'll see another 300 win pitcher, but it may not happen as often as it used to. Verlander and Greinke each have a chance I believe. As long as they each have a few more dominant seasons and hang on for a few years after that. Maybe Gerrit Cole, he's at 94 wins and is 28 years old. He would have to be extremely good with the Yankees for a long time though. Other than those 3 I don't see anyone on the active wins list over 50 wins that even has a chance. We may have to call 200 wins the new 300 pretty soon.

Edited to add: Kershaw may have a chance to if he ages well into his late 30s and continues to pitch well with lower velocity.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Verlander has a shot. 75 more wins at 37 years old is tough. Especially when he's going to lose half, or more, of the season this year. 2019 was arguably his best season, a Cy Young award while putting up a ridiculous .803 WHIP. So he hasn't lost anything but still...37.

My gut says he doesn't make it.

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

Many thought Randy Johnson would not make it either. When Niekro got 300 wins, many were saying that he is the last one to do this. That was very wrong.
    Mussina had a chance to make it, but he decided to retire on top. That is respectable.
    Never say never.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

The age of pitch counts and innings management will effectively eliminate 300 game winners. That combined with the fact that pitchers usually aren't rushed to the bigs and teams keep their best younger players in the minors for extra time to get that extra year of team control. I could see this trend coming several years back. As an example, the Nats, in the middle of a pennant race, shut down their best pitcher a few years ago in August so he wouldn't surpass 180 IP....my goodness only 180 innings. Pitchers would constantly pitch well over 200 innings while the league leaders most times had over 300. And you very rarely heard of as many pitchers having arm issues like today.

• Options

There might be a 300 game winner again one day, but I seriously doubt it. I think 250 wins will be the benchmark going forward.