Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Your opinion please.

I won a PCGS graded buffalo nickel on Ebay. In the sellers description he stated "Full nickel brilliance, bursting with brilliance through the clean surfaces on both sides."
Auction
How would you interpret that statement?
2 close up pics show gold toning and the far away one makes the coin appear white.
Knowing how pictures can sometimes show color when its not really there and based on his description if you won this coin what would you expect a white coin or a gold toned coin?
Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Comments

• If there is any toning there, it will be real light. I've seen lots of "brilliant" Buffalos that scan that way though.
    Keith ™

• WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    I believe it is toned. I would not expect Blast White. Reason being is that the up close pics appears totally toned and the far away pic is questionable.

Great coin though.. you should enjoy it!!
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Took 3 pictures below of the same Nickle. Up Close it looks to have Tone. Straight Away it Shows the Light Tone the Coin has. Shot at a Angle and Still just Shows the Light Tone.
      Your Coin I would Go Along with Keith.image
    1. braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
      In this case I'd let the label speak. PCGS MS67 is a tough coin (they all seem to go MS66 and the next step up is a big one for PCGS in Buffalos). Great coin especially for the price!

peacockcoins

2. CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
      It looks like it's got light gold toning, and is fully lustrous. I wouldn't expect a '38 nickel to have the same color as a 2002. The nickel is composed of 75% copper, which reacts relatively quickly with its environment. In other words, it oxidizes, or tones. Your Buffalo is a great-looking coin.

Jim

Edited for spelling. It's been a long week.
      Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
    3. prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
      Looks like champagne toning on all the pics.

4. Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
      It looks to me like the toning is an artifact of the photos and is not on the coin. I would expect a white coin.
      "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
    5. Well, let us know! I'll bet it has great luster and light gold toning. I've just handled 8 or so of these in 66 and was surprised to find how many had the light tint of gold toning. One had a touch of steel blue, one was multi-color (it is now mine) and the rest looked like this or more. This one appears to have very slight color. Personally I prefer a touch of color. All the 66s I saw seemed very nice, a 67 must be super clean and nice!!
    6. littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
      It's still a nice coin, whether it be toned or not.image

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
      -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.