Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

PCGS Banknote Grading

I have just received this note back from PCGS Banknote Grading and was SERIOUSLY DISSAPPOINTED in its grade. I know it is hard to grade a note from a picture, but would like a few fellow collector's to give me their honest opinion on what they woud think this would grade. Thank you very much for your input/opinion. I will reveal their grade later.

Comments

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF45 !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2020 6:39AM

It's always tough to try a grade from a photo...can't see all the folds..original paper...the scanner settings change true colors...just show the grade and ask for comments (you always need a thick skin when you ask about a note in your collection)

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2020 4:27AM

It’s difficult at best to grade notes from flat photos. Are you able to photograph the note with side lighting ? As an example...And, try to include all 4 corners.

• tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2020 6:48AM

To go a step further on the difficulty using a scan...if Steve had posted just his top picture, I would have said that it looks cleaned and pressed..no obvious signs of folds..etc...maybe a 64 as compared to the bottom picture of the same note that has original paper, handling, and a few heavy folds..45epq...all in my humble opinion.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing VF30 fold across the center, likely a few normal ones, too. A nice looking note none the less.

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice note. AU 55 ?

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reveal?

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the note

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @mbwizkid said.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

That fold across the middle is well defined and shows fraying. Me, I like the note alot. Strong ink, great design. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obvious fold evidence between the portrait and blue seal on the front. And reverse fold. Some discoloration on the front in the white area (field).

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

35?

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will we ever find out the answer ? 🤔

Timbuk3
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

30 or possibly 35. I see a horizontal fold that is very apparent on the reverse. While I like the note, the basis and so-called standards have a way of punishing a note such as the one that is the subject of this thread. I have yet to submit any note for grading... And when that day comes...if it comes... I suspect I will be in for how shall we phrase this? A rude awakening.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.