Home PSA Set Registry Forum

How could this possibly happen to two of my registry sets???

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

For whatever reason, I took a look at my registry sets and found that two of them...that have been not only 100%, but held the #1 position for years, had mysteriously dropped below 100%.

As I took a look, trying to figure what happened, I saw that 3 cards had literally disappeared from my master set, and 2 of the 3 had disappeared from my basic set. The 3rd card was not part of the basic set composition. I go to my physical set and get the cards in question, reenter the cert #s, they're accepted, and both sets are brought back to previous status.

I contact PSA...I am told that one card was removed about 2 weeks ago on a Sunday night...the other two were removed on the following Wednesday night. No explanation can be given to unravel this mystery. I asked that if they could determine when they were removed, could their IT staff determine, who, or how this happened? A follow up email to me tells me this has been referred to the PSA IT staff to try to figure out what happened. I was told that only a person who had my login info could access my sets...nobody has that information...that I know of. I did not remove the cards, but I did put them back. I sent scans of the cards for IT to research the issue.

The timing of the awards deadline does raise an eyebrow...I could be totally wrong. The awards thing is no big deal to me, but from some of the recent posts I've read here, it seems some collectors live for getting awards and are perhaps not so big on collecting per se.

I have had and owned these cards and sets for close to 10 years, only one person is close to me on the basic set, the master is light years beyond any others. The basic set #2 guy is .06 behind me...this "deletion", did put him in the #1 slot and bumped me to #2...can't say this is the case, but the timing is odd. The BIG mystery is how it happened.

Any ideas???

Comments

• Had the same thing happen to me last year right at end of May. A few items just dropped out of my sets and I was lucky to catch the error in time.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had cards mysteriously dropped from my completed sets at various times, as well. Sometimes just one or two, but sometimes more. I would say in roughly December 2018/January 2019, I actually had about a dozen cards vanish from a work in progress set that I am still currently working on. It is a rather large 726 card set, and was only about 50% complete at the time, so quite a pain to physically go through every card and confirm whether it was correctly included in my registry, or not. In every instance, when I entered the missing cards' certification numbers, they were accepted back into my sets, so it's not as if someone had somehow hijacked my cert for their set.

This was a topic briefly discussed in perhaps early spring of 2019, as multiple forum members had their 1975 Topps Baseball HOF sets go from 100% down to 70% or whatever. I was the first to notice , and after correcting my missing certs, for about a day, could lay claim to the #1 finest set! Ha! Once everyone re-entered their certs, everything went back to normal. I'm unsure to what lengths it was investigated, but I don't think it was ever determined what caused the glitch. Besides me, I believe @Darin (who's been AWOL for months...Darin where are you?) was one of the affected members. I don't recall who else.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:
    I have had cards mysteriously dropped from my completed sets at various times, as well. Sometimes just one or two, but sometimes more. I would say in roughly December 2018/January 2019, I actually had about a dozen cards vanish from a work in progress set that I am still currently working on. It is a rather large 726 card set, and was only about 50% complete at the time, so quite a pain to physically go through every card and confirm whether it was correctly included in my registry, or not. In every instance, when I entered the missing cards' certification numbers, they were accepted back into my sets, so it's not as if someone had somehow hijacked my cert for their set.

This was a topic briefly discussed in perhaps early spring of 2019, as multiple forum members had their 1975 Topps Baseball HOF sets go from 100% down to 70% or whatever. I was the first to notice , and after correcting my missing certs, for about a day, could lay claim to the #1 finest set! Ha! Once everyone re-entered their certs, everything went back to normal. I'm unsure to what lengths it was investigated, but I don't think it was ever determined what caused the glitch. Besides me, I believe @Darin (who's been AWOL for months...Darin where are you?) was one of the affected members. I don't recall who else.

Interesting!! It must be a glitch with PSA when they are either updating or messing with the software. In my case I found it very odd that I was told "one card was removed on Sunday night, May 10th" and the other two were "removed on Wednesday night, May 13th". So odd. My initial thought was award time, which means zip to me...I was perhaps just grasping at smoke to figure out what happened.

I reported this to Cosetta, who assured me she was referring this to the IT people at PSA...now that I know it has happened to others, and appears to be much more than once, I will follow up with her to read this thread and ask her to share with IT. We should not have to monitor Registry sets to ensure all is going well.

For me, the sets in question are my Luis Tiant master and basic sets,,,handle name is Teddy Ballgame. If you go there, you'll see I had to add the cards and update my set. They just disappeared out of my inventory, causing me to reenter and upload, then update my regular and digital sets.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread caused me to check my sets. Luckily none of them were affected this time.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

If/when I receive a response from PSA management, I will post their conclusions as to this bizarre event.
    I do know this issue has been referred to PSA IT staff. Since this is not an isolated incident, with even more bizarre removals (in my case), I'm hopeful this will get the attention it requires. to resolve.

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

I think they should send you some free vouchers for your troubles.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
    edited June 4, 2020 1:42PM

@dennis07 said:
    I think they should send you some free vouchers for your troubles.

Don't want or deserve any free anything. It is obviously (given it's not an isolated incident), that PSA's software with regard to the Registry, has issues. I await my response to my story and inquiry to management at PSA.

I think I'm done with sending in raw. I didn't like the 2017 change, which impacted me, and a sub I was ready to send in. The particular set I collect has a LOT of 2017 cards...point is, instead of paying $9 per card to grade, they forced me to pay $20 per card, or collect at least 50 to send in for a lower cost. This change did not benefit Collectors...so, if they're gonna change submission procedures without input from Collectors, I will choose to only collect graded cards and not put up with whatever comes next and endure the wait, which is now in the 6 month range of my current Dec 2019 submission...but has reach the Assembly stage.

Having already gathered some 100 more raw cards for this particular set, I was compelled to send in a Value sub, which I hope to see returned by perhaps Thanksgiving...if I'm lucky.

• shawthershawther Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

I have let my membership expire. They have made it very expensive for collectors to continue to send in cards. The majority of the risk falls on the consumer which also makes it difficult for me to justify sending in more cards at the current prices. I have sent in many cards that I believe are under graded and that’s fine. I get the subjectivity in grading but with the current cost it makes it more risky to submit cards. I’ve started going back to just collecting raw cards for the time being with the occasional purchase of graded cards if it’s the right price. Hopefully they will adjust their prices and I will be able to save up enough money to submit cards in the future. Good luck with your response from PSA.