Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Newp: Nepal gold Asarfi; 1995, "Lord Buddha"

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 31, 2020 2:26AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

OK, yeah, I've been on a bit of a spree. Two pieces of gold in 24 hours, neither of which I expected to win.

I'm into this one for about 2x spot, which some may say is too much on a piece of modern gold. But look at Lord Buddha there. So tranquil... so golden... so ... sold!

Besides, I've never had a coin from Nepal before.

Pop. 6/2; mintage 15,000.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/37128569

Side note: when I was a wee lad, back around '73 or so, my grandmother used to take me to this fancy Chinese restaurant in or near Sarasota, Florida, which was called ... The Golden Buddha. And of course there was a giant golden Buddha statue in there. And swirling dragons and paper lanterns and red lacquer everywhere- all that wonderful stuff. It properly blew my seven-year-old mind, and I declared myself a Buddhist on the spot. I knew nothing of Buddhism, of course. I just totally loved that place. Happy, happy memories.

So there ya go. I just splurged on a golden Buddha.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

It's just a little dinky thing. But lovely, I think.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2020 3:41AM

Ha! Look! Old postcards from the Golden Buddha in Sarasota, from around the same era when my grandmother used to take me there!

I found an old menu, too. Entrees had prices from $0.95 to $2.00. (The Maine Lobster off the "American" side of the menu would set you back $3.50.)

This was a fancier Chinese place at the time.

Ahh... Memory Lane. * sigh *

Funny, I didn't remember the pagoda. It looks stripped down and wingless in the second photo.

I'll bet if I could find photos of the interior, they would look tacky or kitschy to me today. But to my little boy imagination, this joint was a place of wonders.

• Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Love the coin and the story! Gonna have to add Nepal to my OFEC collection (once I finally start it).