Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1939 Third Reich Pfennig Set

Bought this from a forum member many years ago. Can't remember who sold it to me. Although the coins are choice BU, I think I like the envelope and the note more.

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! Hope they are E or G mints.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those look gem. I'm envious.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2020 11:19PM

Wow. The coins are awesome, but the accompanying paperwork is priceless. I doubt there are more than a handful of survivors in that packaging.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're not kidding that the coins are cool, but the packaging is amazing.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting set. The comments like "war-torn Germany" and "after an armistice is signed" appear to date the write up from sometime in 1945 (although I would speculate that the sets being sold with that write up after the war).

Great item that's a reminder of how average collectors bought coins 70-75 years ago.

What are the mintmarks?

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

All D’s on the mint marks.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's always nice to see BU ww2 pfennigs. Super packaging is also provenance. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:
    Very interesting set. The comments like "war-torn Germany" and "after an armistice is signed" appear to date the write up from sometime in 1945 (although I would speculate that the sets being sold with that write up after the war).

Great item that's a reminder of how average collectors bought coins 70-75 years ago.

What are the mintmarks?

From the wording on the write-up I would date this to 1939 or early 1940.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@Oldhoopster said:

What are the mintmarks?

I interpreted it as War Torn describing a decimated country and the Armistice being the Allied Victory, but I see how the 1939-40 timeframe makes a lot of sense as well.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am guessing that Tatham ordered the coins in 1939-40 and sold them shortly thereafter. The "war-torn" would actually applied at that point to Poland and France only as Germany was doing the tearing at that point in the war.

I like the set, I believe 1939-40 was also the last of the bronze coins before they went over to zinc.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@Oldhoopster said:

What are the mintmarks?

Agree. No mention of "the war", but just "entered into war", as if the US was still not a direct participant.

I would get them into something archival such as Saflips or even 2x2s with the paper dust brushed off. But, of course, keep them with that priceless packaging.