Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Newp: Australia florin, Canberra type, 1927(m)

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 30, 2020 3:09PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I've just always liked this type, for some reason. Never had one until now. Prices seem to be all over the place, but I reckoned this PCGS MS64 was the best one for my money. I started comparison shopping three venues after finding a PCGS MS63+ I liked. It had slightly more mottled toning than this 64, which was only $20-ish more expensive than the 63+ had been.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:
    I've just always liked this type, for some reason. Never had one until now. Prices seem to be all over the place, but I reckoned this PCGS MS64 was the best one for my money. I started comparison shopping three venues after finding a PCGS MS63+ I liked. It had slightly more mottled toning than this 64, which was only $20-ish more expensive than the 63+ had been.

I like that type as well

Sounds like you made a thoughtful purchase on a nice coin. Congratulations.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad the regular series Florins rarely surface this nice. Nice coin

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Fancy!

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are really cool. To me, the date on the reverse always makes me think it was hand engraved.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2020 12:21AM

@TomB said:
    These are really cool. To me, the date on the reverse always makes me think it was hand engraved.

Yeah, I love how it's kinda like carved into that little cartouche. Yknow, I think that single detail might be what drew me to this type initially. Strange but true.

This one also has a little cartouche like that. The date (1739) is a bit hidden under the toning, but I like the way they engraved it, and so many of the other little intricate details in that city view.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2020 4:46AM

I've had a few of these, but in circulated grades. Kept the nicest one for my Australian date set and sold the others at local coin club meetings.

I had the same feeling about the date. It pops out from the coin giving it a special look. As soon as I read the title of your post, I could immediately picture the coin with the date style.

Very nice acquisition. It looks a lot nicer than mine :)

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2020 5:50AM

Here are the seller's obverse and reverse photos, as a counterpoint to the TrueView.

• StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Neat coin! The reverse type is very attractive.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely florin.
    The engraver was quite the artist incorporating all those design elements without making the reverse too busy.