Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Newp: my first Ptolemaic coin

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 30, 2020 3:32PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Ex-Ken Dorney.

"Ptolemaic Kings of Egypt, Ptolemy VI Philometer, 2nd Sole reign, 163 - 145 BC
Silver Tetradrachm, Cyprus Mint, 21mm, 6.64 grams
Obverse: Diademed head of Ptolemy right wearing aegis around neck.
Reverse: Eagle standing left on thunderbolt with wings closed, P IZ (Z retrograde) in fields, E between legs.
Svornos 1228, Rare."

https://youtu.be/c3BHd9E_gSM

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to see you're back to adding to your collection Rob!

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Egyptian coin!

41,000 posts!

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    edited May 30, 2020 9:48PM

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    Nice Egyptian coin!

41,000 posts!

Actually, I was in the mid- 60K post count range back in 2016, when they changed the forum platform. Somehow I got a 20K+ haircut in the process. I was ranked #8 all time by post count then. (I don't think this new forum gives those stats? Not that they matter much.)

I'm not a huge fan of this new software, so I've taken up residence on CoinTalk these last four years. (And have amassed over 14K posts over there in that time.)

But I still fondly remember my old CU friends and come back here to visit occasionally. And of course there's a lot of overlap between the two sites, with people like yourself who are active on both. Good folks all around,

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2020 10:00PM

BTW, the Ancients folk over there on CT pointed out that this coin is a didrachm, not a tetradrachm. There are lots of Ancient coin wizards over there. I remember the ancients community over here as being kind of small, back in the day. @sapyx was the wizard I bowed to then (and still tip my hat to). And @bronzemat, who is plain old "Mat" over on CT. And @CIVITAS. @aethelred, too. And I remember being very envious of an aureus you had, WB2.

Oh, good heavens. Speaking of envy-inducing aureii, I didn't even mention @SmEagle1795 in the context of ancient coin collectors here. That's like forgetting Zeus.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rob - congrats on the pickup! Here is the Tetradrachm big brother

• Options

@Zohar said:
    Rob - congrats on the pickup! Here is the Tetradrachm big brother

Good Lawdamighty, Z! Just stroll right on in here and drop that thing like a hydrogen bomb with no warning, why don'tcha?

Ow! Ow! My eyes hurt! Jaw is unhinged!

;)

Might as well have @SmEagle1795 come in here too, with something else that's Ptolemaic-flavored. Surely he's got something. And you KNOW it'll be dazzling. Then we'll have a one-two punch after your coin, and we can all gasp for breath.

• Options
    edited May 30, 2020 11:14PM

Gawd, that iridescent target toning on the reverse... :o:o:o<3

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:
    Gawd, that iridescent target toning on the reverse... :o:o:o<3

Thanks Rob. It's among the few I had kept.

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:

Might as well have @SmEagle1795 come in here too, with something else that's Ptolemaic-flavored. Surely he's got something. And you KNOW it'll be dazzling. Then we'll have a one-two punch after your coin, and we can all gasp for breath.

I can't not listen to a summons. Here are a couple hefty Ptolemies!

Ptolemy IV:

Berenike II:

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options

Ha! See? Toldja so!

If Zohar's was a hydrogen bomb (and it was, to my way of thinking), then ... what the heck are THOSE?

Oh- I know. That was the "Double Death Star" play.

• Options

Congratulations, you two, on successfully making my coin in the OP look like a fermented turd by comparison.

S'OK, tho'. I like my Li'l Turdie-poo. :smiley:

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2020 6:19PM

My only Egyptian Ptolemaic coin is this little copper coin of an unknown denomination:

Ptolemaic Kingdom Egypt Copper Ptolemy IX to XII BC 116-51
    Bronze, 20 mm, 7.02 gm
    Struck: BC 116-51 Alexandria mint
    Obverse:
    Diademed head of Zeus-Ammon right
    Reverse:
    Two eagles with wings closed standing left on thunderbolt; cornucopia to left
    ΠTOΛEMAIOY BAΣIΛEΩΣ (Ptolemy King)

But why are there two birds?

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television