Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Does this look like the grade?

Top to bottom centering looks Mint 9 or worse
3 of 4 corners look sub par.... fuzzy wuzzy... this card is up for auction currently....

Comments

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

Very generous grader. With 3 corners like that it could easily be a 7.

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 302 ✭✭✭✭

Yikes, i got 6s and 7s that look like that. Some edge wear/nicking along the top edge, above the O and S in Astros

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2020 4:53PM

this hobby is a virtual minefield in the year 2020. you don't know how or why certain cards find their way into certain holders, therefore it is, more than ever, incumbent upon you personally to scrutinize a card based on its own merits.

that is, unless you're a flip collector. which a lot of collectors are. then none of the above applies. just continue to look forward to the mail day surprise when a piece of cardboard shows up with your holder.

• Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

@PNWcollector said:
    Yikes, i got 6s and 7s that look like that. Some edge wear/nicking along the top edge, above the O and S in Astros

I agree, would love to know the submitter; does it matter? Absolutely..........................

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    this hobby is a virtual minefield in the year 2020. you don't know how or why certain cards find their way into certain holders, therefore it is, more than ever, incumbent upon you personally to scrutinize a card based on its own merits.

that is, unless you're a flip collector. which a lot of collectors are. then none of the above applies. just continue to look forward to the mail day surprise when a piece of cardboard shows up with your holder.

Just had to quote this, because it was so well said and true. You nailed it, brother.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chaz - we need you man. Please PSA 6 this one ASAP

• Options
    WalkinDudeWalkinDude Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

I believe each card is looked at by 2 different graders before if moves along in the grading process.

Patrick

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

Definitely not a strong 10

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2020 8:16AM

I see a 7 . From my view this card has one sharp corner.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WalkinDude said:
    I believe each card is looked at by 2 different graders before if moves along in the grading process.

Yes, I have heard that as well. If the two graders agree it moves on. If they disagree a third (Senior Grader?) makes the call.

I have also heard that each original grader gets about 10 seconds to examine the card. That seems like a pretty short time.

Corners on the above pictured card do not look like 10, or even 9 worthy. Centering on this card could be debatable because of the lack of a uniform border all the way around. It looks low to me.

Scans can be deceiving depending on the scanner used, but this looks like an 8 to me, 6 if I sent it in.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Lately the market doesn't seem to care; they're buying 10s.
    I tend to over-analyse

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emar said:
    Lately the market doesn't seem to care; they're buying 10s.
    I tend to over-analyse

I agree, 10's are hot!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

While I understand the desire to cash in, the right thing to do is return the card to PSA for an accurate grade. What does this also say about the seller passing this kind of card into the hobby knowing full well something is wrong. If I was a consignor, I would refuse to sell this card.

On that note, if this is the standard, every single 400 cards I recently subbed better come back 10s, except for one card thats beat to hell that I just want in a holder.