Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1983/84 OPC Hockey Box Rip.

HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

With the added intense drama with picofbox.... picofbackofbox.. and finally the world renowned picofunleashedboxshowingpacks !!!

Come on Gretzky, please be a good.

Comments

• dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2020 3:54PM

Those old Kings unis were 🔥 and those straight leg pants the Flyers wore were 🤮

Those old Cooper helmets were so comfortable! Sad when they stopped making them.

Jason

• tkerstingtkersting Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

Love the rough cut on OPC’s. Good luck!

• coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

i had a couple of those ultras today too

• burghmanburghman Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Loved those Vancouver unis!

Jim

• FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such a fun year to rip. Thanks for sharing. My favourite from that year is the Lindbergh rookie. Hope you pull a gem

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Doug Sulliman was an underrated player, but those Cooperalls are doing him no favors.

• FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

What kind of education was UNH providing in the 70’s that Rod Langway would figure it was a fine idea to go all flow in the NHL?

• 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me this set is about Stevens. You also have a few recent HOF intros in Carbo and Housley, both questionable IMO.

Nicholls had a crazy run, more then 40 three times including 70 once. 475 goals, 1200 points.

Cool break! Will be following this one.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome to watch your break. Good luck with the rest of the box.

• jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice start...love these cards. Looking forward to the rest of the break!

• HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

This is a fun box. Huge 48 packer that will take a while :) Overall so far it;s not a box with centering completely all over the place. Do see some grading candidates. Anyone here do the set ? Will check pop reports of course but if you see any sure fire ones please advise.

Another gummed Gretzky.

• rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭

Woah, nice rip! Interested in the Stevens's, and if you pull any Pelle Lindbergh, Guy Carbonneau or Phil Housely and are looking to move them.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• leftofdialleftofdial Posts: 442 ✭✭

Horse, great break! - You should think about putting the Lindbergh rookie in a Card Saver

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have always liked the trophy cards from that set.

• burghmanburghman Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Ronnie Francis in the long pants too - I forgot Hartford wore them... thought it was just Philly. Some well centered cards with nice corners, Horse - congrats.

Jim

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

So many future coaches! What a great rip!

• RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

I remember OPC gum was better tasting and more chewy than Topps gum so whatever made up its recipe makes it unforgiving to the cards in these '80s packs.

edited June 3, 2020 3:01PM

Do you know what THIS IS ?

THIS IS an unattended half a hockey box sitting on the dining table for a few days now that is really upsetting my wife !

Commencing rip. But I like stuff like this sitting around the house.

I don't see large print dots on other cards, or so many of the main player being the gum card in other boxes :) Just my luck. LOTS of gradeables continue to come in, but what the heck do I do at 9 bucks a pop ? It's 10's or nuttin' again and my luck with that sheet is like obsolete.

• jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭

Sitting around aye ? Some personal familiarity with that particular spousal discussion :o

That is most glorious card slothery !!

Well done !!!!

ROCK ON LANNY !!! ROCK ON FOREVER YOU GORGEOUS HUNK OF MAN MEAT STUD MUFFIN !!!!

The ONE card which I think is the best of the set, comes out like this:

• rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭

That Lanny in a Molson jersey is pretty awesome as well.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

I could look at hockey cards all day long! Such a great sport!

edited June 6, 2020 9:52AM

Rest of the box !

Will wait until completely buzzed now to go through them all again looking for gradeable cards. I can make 8's magically turn in to 10's in my mind after 12 Mich Ultras !!

(but then the morning after check removes some from the send for grading stack at times)

• milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

Great Rip!. Did you get a Scott Stevens? I ripped a lot of this set back in the day. I sent in 2 Scott Stevens and got PSA 10 on both. A 9 on Lindbergh, and 2 PSA 9's on 2 Gretzky's.

After your set, I would be interested in any of the Flyers.

thanks,
    Bob

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is just fun to say "Record Battu"

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

@milbroco said:
    Great Rip!. Did you get a Scott Stevens?

He did post a scan/photo of one Stevens earlier on in the thread.

I see the Stevens now. Looks really nice and gradeable.

edited June 8, 2020 7:21AM

@milbroco said:
    Great Rip!. Did you get a Scott Stevens? I ripped a lot of this set back in the day. I sent in 2 Scott Stevens and got PSA 10 on both. A 9 on Lindbergh, and 2 PSA 9's on 2 Gretzky's.

After your set, I would be interested in any of the Flyers.

thanks,
    Bob

hey Bob, I'll pull out the Flyers today or tomorrow, not building the set so you can have all the ones not deemed '10 worthy' which I think is all of them :) Will get back to you.

Did get one very good Stevens !

AWESOME! Thanks!
    Good luck with that Stevens......hoping for a 10 for you!
    thanks,
    Bob