Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need help on Vatican commemorative tokens

Any info would be much appreciated. I know they are silver plated weigh 15.65 grams and are 35.6 mm...Are they a set ? Is there more to the set?

A world without coins "Chaos"

Comments

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

These are privately made souvenirs for tourists, etc. Some/many were made for the 1975 Jubilee year, others after the popes death (eg the one dated XV) . These may still be in production. There's a variety of types over a number of years so I'm not sure that a "set" per se was produced. Another place these are encountered are in official Vatican coin sets of the period (1970s) replacing the silver L500 coin and again made privately to sell to tourists. Altho not officials, I have a few of these I've picked up over the years as curiosities, paying no more than a dollar or two.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

I took a few minutes to go thru the index of the CNORP catalogue (vol XIX-XX) that deals with Paul VI. This volume lists and numbers over 700 types of medals for the pope, including annual, other officials, semi-officials, and a wide variety of private issues. The only two listed are the two with dates, both of which are attributed to a Renato Signorini. Interestingly, both are listed in other sizes: the 1975 piece as 40mm in both silver and bronze and the XV piece as 25mm in base medal. There are several other, earlier pieces attributed to him - some dating to the mid 1960s - but all are dated and share none of the elements of the reverse designs of the other 3. At some point, probably after 1978, someone took the two dated designs and muled the common obverse with other significant Vatican landmarks and common size to produce these souvenirs in base medal with a silver wash/plate. Hope that this gives you what you were looking for,

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    angelo43angelo43 Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

Very much Vatican souvenirs for tourists. correct that they are silver plated, no "sets" except when thay are put together by the sellers. STLNATS is correct in that they are worth a dollor or two.

• Options
    rmuniakrmuniak Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

Thank you so much guys.. I knew you would come through.... Thanks Ray

A world without coins "Chaos"

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one of the lower left ones pictured above. Funny I was just recently thinking I should figure out what it is.

Collector, occasional seller