Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1987 Fleer Glossy tin set.... open or not?

I have 5 1987 Fleer Glossy sets w/update sets unopened. Do I crack open and hope for PSA suitable cards? Bonds, Bo, McGwire, Maddux, Nolan all going for good money....or do I keep unopened?

Comments

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

I bought 1 of each of those glossy sets off Craigslist a year ago for dirt cheap, so I recently opened them and got some gem candidates, so they will be going to PSA soon...I'd say if you have 5 of each, no reason you can't open some and keep the others sealed...

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2020 11:34AM

If you open any of the base sets, be on the look out for the Brown backs. I've found a factory set usually averages 1 Brown back per. There's like three of us on the planet that know about them so there's no market premium on them yet but they are a cool hobby oddity whose mystery hasn't been unraveled yet.

They don't stand out very well in scans but you can easily detect them in-hand. Here's a Bill Doran that had the effect just on a small portion of its back edge and is more pronounced than putting two cards side-by-side.

Arthur

ETA: I've only seen Brown Backs in '87 Fleer Glossy base sets. Not in Glossy Update sets and not in non-Glossy sets. Doesn't mean they don't exist though. I haven't exactly been ripping cases of product looking for them.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2020 9:17AM

@1966CUDA said:
    I have 5 1987 Fleer Glossy sets w/update sets unopened. Do I crack open and hope for PSA suitable cards? Bonds, Bo, McGwire, Maddux, Nolan all going for good money....or do I keep unopened?

As you said, several of the guys will sell for good money in a 10. If you don't get a "gem" Bonds, you might get a Bo or a McGwire.

Rip a couple and see!

Oops McGwire in the Traded set.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Since reading/replying, I have found a local guy with 2 sealed Fleer Glossy sets for $65 each. Buying them tomorrow morning.

I really like the look of these cards. A beautiful design.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when the 1989 Fleer Glossy set in the black tin box was high dollar, $150+.

• Options

Here's what I got;
    Larkin not going to be a 10.

• Options

Nolan Ryan with a print dot. Saw a 9 on ebay with the same/similar dot.

• Options

Clemens, not too bad, but blue doesn't seem very dark. NOT a great looking card.

• Options

Canseco. This one looks too far off center for a 10. Nice looking card.

• Options

My guy Puckett. Hmmmmm 10 maybe?

• Options

Ozzie. Not one of the "big" cards in the set, but this might be the best looking card I saw today. Dark bold blue, card actually looks wet!

• Options

Bo. I don't know what to think. Kind of dull looking.

• Options

Didn't realize this was as desirable a card as it is. This looks like 10 material to me.

• Options
    edited June 1, 2020 9:18PM

Finally the Bonds, I think it has a shot, not perfectly centered, but close enough?

• Options

Better images of the "big four"

• Options

I don't think the Bonds will 10 due to T/B centering. The front of the Bo looks nice but that's half the battle. You need clean edges on the back with no chipping, as well.

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    I don't think the Bonds will 10 due to T/B centering. The front of the Bo looks nice but that's half the battle. You need clean edges on the back with no chipping, as well.

Arthur

I was wondering on T/B centering.

• Options

What do you think on the Clark?

• Options

In hand the Clark is obviously the best colorwise. The Jackson is the worst.

No 10's would suck.

• Options

I think the Bo has a great chance and is probable. The Clark all comes down to the back top edge and who you get for a grader. I've seen 10s with that and I've gotten 9s because of it. Roll of the dice.

Arthur

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great rip. I am with Arthur. I think the Bonds (T/B) will land as a solid MINT 9. The Clark RC looks perfect on the front and I think will PSA 10 even with the slight edge wear on the top back. Does the Bo have tiny print marks on the yellow banner at the bottom? If so, it is a solid MINT 9. If I am just seeing things, then it could 10.

Thanks for sharing!

• Options

Yes a couple of minute print marks on Bo. :-(

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭

you glossy set was better then mine. I would be very satisfied if I got the cards you did. most of mine were off centered top to bottom.

• Options

Yes, I am happy the cards are attractive. It is frustrating when they at first appear to be gem mint and then might be worthless.

The Bonds in a 9 is worth $30-60.

Sorry your set was off centered. Hope you didn't pay too much for yours.

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2020 7:48PM

@JoeBanzai said:

Finally the Bonds, I think it has a shot, not perfectly centered, but close enough?

Top to bottom most likely puts Bonds in a 9 holder, but still a nice card

I guess I should have read all responses before posting, as others already mentioned the t/b centering on the Bonds..

• Options

No worries. I was worried about that. My favorite of the Bonds rookies.

• Options

I would still send the Bonds in. I don't "believe" it will 10 but I've also seen cards with centering that I didn't think would 10, 10, so it's worth the dice roll. Even in a 9 that's a nice card.

I've found that if a card is 50/50 in one direction they really allow you to push the 60/40 boundary in the other direction. What you can't do is have a card 60/40 in both directions.

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    I would still send the Bonds in. I don't "believe" it will 10 but I've also seen cards with centering that I didn't think would 10, 10, so it's worth the dice roll. Even in a 9 that's a nice card.

I've found that if a card is 50/50 in one direction they really allow you to push the 60/40 boundary in the other direction. What you can't do is have a card 60/40 in both directions.

Arthur

It will be going in. It's worth money even in a 9, and just as you said, it could get a 10 depending on the grader.

Thanks for the positive post!!

Joe