Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1967 Jefferson nickel with most steps I've ever seen.

leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

1967 PCGS MS65 QSC 3325 Strong quarter steps, add in the weak ones, it's a 4345. Most steps I've ever come across for this date. From arms length, the coin looks acceptable but the strike is weak up close, more so on the obverse than the reverse. I'm thinking this coin came from the tail end of acid treated SMS dies to strike coins for commerce. The steps appear to be of the Reverse of 1967 where the 5th and 6th steps curve back towards the field, tough to tell. No pics yet other than the seller's. Scroll down to the 2nd 69-S in my link to get an idea on the steps but with less of the 5th step. The weak strike is likely the reason the steps filled out on this one. I suspected examples existed, weak strike with steps......lot of wasted time on this date.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Comments

• Options

Did all the full steps aficionados die off? lol

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice coin - even the SMS are so weak, I think NGC designates them

• Options
    SenateSaloonSenateSaloon Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

Hard to believe none of the SMS 1967 nickels produced full steps. Yours looks like a keeper for sure. I may have to take another look at mine.

• Options

@SenateSaloon said:
    Hard to believe none of the SMS 1967 nickels produced full steps. Yours looks like a keeper for sure. I may have to take another look at mine.

• Options
    SenateSaloonSenateSaloon Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

Leo, thanks for pointing me back to your prior posts. I have much to learn and appreciate the guidance.

• Options
    edited January 15, 2023 3:27AM

Sure, I'll keep searching for one with better steps but the strike/details aren't going to be all that great. Otherwise, we would have to call it a SMS model. Where is the line drawn between BS business strikes and SMS coins/examples? A 70+ old lanky white bearded man once told me face to face that full step 1967 business strikes don't exist. That was 25 years ago and the #1 PAKman Adolf Weiss's words still ring true today. Unless some grading company erroneously certifies a SMS coin with 5 steps as a business strike.
    But look at the seller's pic in 1st post, I took a gamble thinking there were a lot of steps and here's my pics.

Leo

Update for those most curious and serious collectors seeking whether this date will ever be found with full steps
    A recent addition and it's a wowser! Be sure to right click on pic to open in another tab to see a much larger photo of this coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file