Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Is there any online dealer specialize the dark side with lot of high quality raw?

TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 29, 2020 7:09PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Thanks. I can't seem to find any. Most were either already slabbed or in the inferior ungraded conditions.

Comments

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

Karl Stephens. https://karlstephensinc.com/

Most of his coins are in PDF lists and you have to e-mail him with the request.

edited May 29, 2020 7:16PM

Civitas Galleries. https://www.civitasgalleries.com/

Josh is here on the forum @CIVITAS ....

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

Thanks. I guess I will email him to see what he has. The coins in his ebay store weren't something I have in mind.

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2020 7:32PM

What eras are you looking at?

Also, you can always crack out slabbed coins if you want something raw.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭

Try Allen Berman http://bermania.com/

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭

There is also Justin, jdmern here and on eBay

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay

@TurboSnail said:

@pruebas said:

Thanks. I guess I will email him to see what he has. The coins in his ebay store weren't something I have in mind.

You don't need to e-mail him. Download his latest list from his website for the list (except those that have been sold since).

E-mail him for availability and possible discount.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

What series are you interested in?

Some of us collectors might be able to offer you some raw coins 😀

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2020 11:31PM

It depends. Are you looking for someone who handles nice coins that are not expensive enough to justify the cost of certification, or are you looking to buy raw coins and certify them yourself? If the former, there are lots of good dealers to choose from. If the latter, it won't be so easy.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uhh, how about most of Europe?
    Baldwin and Sovereign Rarities now have a few slabbed but mostly raw as examples...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2020 9:28AM

Have nearly everything Canadian from 1858 to 1967. from the large cents to the Silver dollars and many varieties. many double and triple and different grades. (except 1921 50 cent which I sold a few years back)
    But, let me assure you that very few deals are available on the better stuff.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

@MrEureka said:
    looking to buy raw coins and certify them yourself? If the latter, it won't be so easy.

This is exactly what I am experiencing now . I am into pre WWII silver coins. I spent hours on the dealers' inventory just to find raw BU( b$%$ ugly coins) at most. I am starting to believe having raw gems from the dark-side that are worth grading is a myth.

edited May 30, 2020 6:33PM

.> @7Jaguars said:

Baldwin and Sovereign Rarities now have a few slabbed but mostly raw as examples...

I visited Sovereign Rarities's site just now. Their ancient look very promising . Unfortunately, most of their raw prices are out of my reach. In fact, some of their raw cost the same as top pop slabbed prices. :s

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:

@MrEureka said:
    looking to buy raw coins and certify them yourself? If the latter, it won't be so easy.

This is exactly what I am experiencing now . I am into pre WWII silver coins. I spent hours on the dealers' inventory just to find raw BU( b$%$ ugly coins) at most. I am starting to believe having raw gems from the dark-side that are worth grading is a myth.

Raw gems pre world II are indeed hard to find especially silver coins

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

@bidask said:

To think coin collectors around the world each had a prized collection of their own before the invention of slabs, but there is nothing left beside over priced slabs that cost 50 to 100 times more than a common $5-$200 coin. :'(

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:

@bidask said:

To think coin collectors around the world each had a prized collection of their own before the invention of slabs, but there is nothing left beside over priced slabs that cost 50 to 100 times more than a common $5-$200 coin. :'(

Wait, what??? LOL

Am I right to now think that your OP was asking for tips on where to buy raw coins that you can slab and sell for 50-100X your cost? And now you're upset that it might not be easy?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
    edited May 30, 2020 9:16PM

@MrEureka said:

@TurboSnail said:

@bidask said:

Wait, what??? LOL

Am I right to now think that your OP was asking for tips on where to buy raw coins that you can slab and sell for 50-100X your cost? And now you're upset that it might not be easy?

No you misunderstand me. I am seeing online seller asking 50 to 100x on the slabs where the common coins normally cost 5 to $200 raw at most at its native region. It just doesn't justify the cost purchasing any slabbed world coin online from the U.S site.

• spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

I don't know about OP, but it is harder to find cheapo coins online these days. It does get frustrating when you search eBay for a sub-$20 type and find only MS-64 slabs with not great eye appeal listed with a $150 BIN. How did $150 become the default BIN price for average stuff anyway?!

Those cheapos are still out there, especially at shows. The problem is more eBay's policies and fees over the past 5-10 years that drove many dealers off the platform or forced them to reconsider what they bother listing there. But that's eBay. It's never been great.

It really sucks for those of us out in the boonies where the only "coin shops" are pawn shops and there are no shows. Oh well. I still find plenty to keep me busy :)

edited May 30, 2020 10:40PM

@spoon exactly, compare to us coin such as common date ms64 morgan that costs more than $20 and sells for $60 to $65. The world slabbed coins ' premium is way too high.

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

The market has become far more transparent - online shops/auctions, decent images, auction results - if there is a great coin, it will likely be found. Folks pay more for an opinion re authenticity and quality/grade/eye appeal validation which makes the coin more liquid. When you buy raw, its tougher to get this validation. As always, the market sets the price so no need to be frustrated - the arbitrage of the past has been narrowed. On my end, If sellers list at a high price that doesn't mean that this is indeed the market price, unless they are able to sell. Ebay has become less of an auction venue but rather a meeting place between high price sellers and ultra cheap buyers - one feeds the other. As a collector, when I do sell, I list high knowing that the buyers come in with a flea market mentality. I see far less quality material than before at reasonable prices as a collector as I am sure the dealers on this forum can attest to, the ability to slab and sell at a a very high margin has become more limited.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2020 12:13AM

For fixed price retail, there are two online malls you might already be aware of.

There is vcoins.com (@civitas is a dealer there), and ma-shops.com. The latter is European, with many foreign language listings, but the site is easily navigable by English speakers.

I have shopped a lot on MA-Shops the past few years.

The coins below were all bought raw from various MA-Shops dealers.

They're not gems or anything, but I daresay they're pretty nice (at least for my budget range). And they fared pretty well when they went off to Newport Beach. (Not that there weren't a few duds, too- such is the slabbing game.)

These would all be priced MUCH higher by dealers, in the plastic as they are now. Much higher than what I bought them for raw, that is. If your tastes are rather esoteric like mine, but you like your collection in slabs, sometimes there's no option but to "make 'em yourself". It's expensive, and a hassle, and you need to develop a discerning eye (friends can help with that), but certification does pay dividends in the long run. (Even if it remains a crapshoot much of the time.)

(Grr. I just love how this site uploads multiple images in random order, Every. Single. Time. OK, fine, who cares about chronology- I'll just post 'em all scrambled up like that. Geez.)

Seriously, though- don't overlook those multi-dealer mall sites. You'll never lack for selection there, probably.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    edited May 31, 2020 12:10AM

@TurboSnail said:
    .> @7Jaguars said:

I visited Sovereign Rarities's site just now. Their ancient look very promising . Unfortunately, most of their raw prices are out of my reach. In fact, some of their raw cost the same as top pop slabbed prices. :s

Sovereign Rarities and others of that ilk are for the Big Britches Boys with way deeper pockets than I have! (I'm a <$500 guy these days, and often <$100.)

Those dealers certainly have some nice inventory, though. I like window-shopping them.

If you're higher-end like that, auctions may be the way to go. Auction aggregator sites like numisbids.com work similarly to how the retail mall sites do, in that you can search tens of thousands of coins from dozens of different venues with a single keyword search. Or just browse for hours, discovering stuff you never knew existed. That's the part I like.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

@lordmarcovan Thank you so much. Believe it or not , i haven't really look into ma-shop until today. And I am starting to buy there already.

@TurboSnail said:
    @lordmarcovan Thank you so much. Believe it or not , i haven't really look into ma-shop until today. And I am starting to buy there already.

Overseas shipping is costlier, naturally - and subject to customs delays from the present pandemic pandemonium- but there's some really neat stuff in those stores.

I've been buying from Kűnker am Dom lately.

• This is bjorn (I am trying to get access to my old account back, so currently have this username). A lot of wonderful raw material can be found in auctions in Europe, but prices are strong in most cases - people recognize high quality material these days. Unfortunately, a lot of the best 'deals' are found in in-person auctions (where they are not online, or the pictures/descriptions online aren't good), or at the occasional coins fair over here - neither of which sound like an option for yourself. That said, for dealers I would second LordM's advice re: Ma-Shops and Vcoins, and have seen good quality material at several dealer sites in Europe, such as cgb and Kunker.

Thanks guys. I spent a whole night searching through Ma-Shops and Vcoins. I am definitely feeling more comfortable shopping there. Is there any recommend sites for far-east coins?

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a collector of Chinese cash, I rely upon Frank Robinson (who occasionally makes an appearance here; FSR) and Bob Reis (a regular contributor to World Coin News). Reis has two websites: Anything Anywhere and Golden Rule Enterprises.
    Steve Album also has an expert on Asian coinage on staff, but he is moving from fixed price lists to auctions.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD