Home Sports Talk
Options

Lamar Jackson going deep

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh commented on the plan for the Ravens next season and he put it plain and simple, Lamar Jackson is going deep. He said that Lamar Jackson and the Ravens need to take advantage of defenses covering their receivers one on one by hitting receivers downfield with the deep pass. It is well known that defenses are fearful of the Ravens run game and the Ravens are planning on taking advantage of their downfield opportunities more consistently. How will Lamar and the Ravens do next season? Will Lamar be a front runner for his second straight MVP? Will the Ravens make it to the Super Bowl?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

So they plan to focus on the passing game but draft a running back to compliment Ingram? Ok sounds like they are all in 😂😂😂

• Options

@perkdog said:
    So they plan to focus on the passing game but draft a running back to compliment Ingram? Ok sounds like they are all in 😂😂😂

😂😂😂😂 If John isn't careful, he could end up right beside his brother Jim.

• Options
    edited May 29, 2020 5:10AM

Let me sneak one more shot at Jim Harbaugh in here right fast.

• Options

😂😂😂👍👍

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Deep, short or middle. if you watched his tape last year a lot of his passes, even the ones caught were behind receivers. I stand by my statement made before the start of last season. Baltimore will win a lot of games against so-so, and bad teams.
    They will struggle and win a few against good teams but they will never win a Super Bowl with Jackson at QB. Fun to watch but down 13 with 20 minutes left isn't happening.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    80sRockNut80sRockNut Posts: 67 ✭✭

Until he wins a Super Bowl, his accomplishments are going to be minimized. As a 22-year old last season, just compare his basic stats to the best quarterback on the planet:

CMP%: Jackson 66.1 vs Mahomes 65.9
    AVG YDS: Jackson 7.8 vs Mahomes 8.3
    TDS: Jackson 36 vs Mahomes 26
    INT: Jackson 6 vs Mahomes 5
    RTG: Jackson 113.3 vs Mahomes 105.3

Once again, I would take Mahomes on my fantasy team every day of the week AND as my quarterback every second of the Super Bowl. But IMHO, we shouldn't take away from Jackson's skill as a passing quarterback. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson ends up with more Super Bowl rings than Dan Marino and Dan Fouts combined ... and I heard they were pretty decent passing quarterbacks. ;)

• Options

@80sRockNut said:
    Until he wins a Super Bowl, his accomplishments are going to be minimized. As a 22-year old last season, just compare his basic stats to the best quarterback on the planet:

CMP%: Jackson 66.1 vs Mahomes 65.9
    AVG YDS: Jackson 7.8 vs Mahomes 8.3
    TDS: Jackson 36 vs Mahomes 26
    INT: Jackson 6 vs Mahomes 5
    RTG: Jackson 113.3 vs Mahomes 105.3

Once again, I would take Mahomes on my fantasy team every day of the week AND as my quarterback every second of the Super Bowl. But IMHO, we shouldn't take away from Jackson's skill as a passing quarterback. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson ends up with more Super Bowl rings than Dan Marino and Dan Fouts combined ... and I heard they were pretty decent passing quarterbacks. ;)

Stats are great. Just ask Dak how that works. 2-3 years and the way of RG III. In 4 years Baltimore will draft another. Wash, rinse, repeat.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a Browns fan so I'm well acquainted with Teams squandering talent and its potential by their Coaching choices. the Baltimore Ravens would do well to consider dumping Harbaugh while Jackson and some other Ravens are on the upside of their careers.

• Options

@2dueces said:
    Stats are great. Just ask Dak how that works. 2-3 years and the way of RG III. In 4 years Baltimore will draft another. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Why 2-3 years to RG III and not Steve Young??? That may be where his career goes ... but the big plus that he has as the Ravens quarterback is their defense. It routinely ranks in the top five (if not top three) and they have won two Super Bowls with Trent Dilfer and Joe Flacco. The Ravens formula for quarterbacks is they don't have to win the game, just don't lose it. Personally, I could just as easily see Lamar winning two Super Bowls as likely as zero Super Bowls.

• Options
    edited June 4, 2020 11:04AM

@80sRockNut said:

@2dueces said:

Why 2-3 years to RG III and not Steve Young??? That may be where his career goes ... but the big plus that he has as the Ravens quarterback is their defense. It routinely ranks in the top five (if not top three) and they have won two Super Bowls with Trent Dilfer and Joe Flacco. The Ravens formula for quarterbacks is they don't have to win the game, just don't lose it. Personally, I could just as easily see Lamar winning two Super Bowls as likely as zero Super Bowls.

Steve Young settles down and became a pretty good pocket passer. I cannot see Jackson ever achieving that. RGIII’s career was doomed because of mis management of his injuries. Shame really. Yes Jackson’s success was boosted by being drafted late and on a winning team. But heck anything can happen, I just don’t see it.

PS. I can see Josh Allen winning 2 SB’s just as easy. #2 defense and a slew of weapons, actually now a better receiving corps than Jackson.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    PS. I can see Josh Allen winning 2 SB’s just as easy. #2 defense and a slew of weapons, actually now a better receiving corps than Jackson.

I've got three signed rookie cards of Josh Allen, so I am a-okay with that. And considering that the Bills haven't even won the AFC East since 1995, I will definitely say that they are due.

• Options
    edited June 4, 2020 5:56PM

I’m stocking up too. Lol

W.C.Fields
  • Options

This is going to sound like blasphemy coming from me but I’m so angry at Belichick I want the Pats to finish 5-11 this year and big Bill to suck on it. As far as a team I would be happy winning it would be the Bills or Vikings. True story 😡

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭

for me, right now Jackson doesn't pass the "eye "test. your QB has to be able to throw the ball accurately and the windows and all those throwing lanes get tighter and tighter as the seasons and playoffs progress. I'm not taking anything away from Jackson, but he's not the guy I want throwing with under a minute, 80 yds in front of him and needing a TD. For my money right now, there are more QB's I'd take before him for that fact alone. Again, I will say that I realize it's only his second year, but he's been playing football all his life; that part of a guy's make up is difficult to change.

• Options

The reality is that for every Steve Young, there is a Michael VIck, Cam Newton, RG III, or Fran Tarkenton that never won the big game, Amazing quarterbacks, no doubt, but there is the asterisk next to their names. And it is very possible that Lamar may run into two trucks named Edmunds & Milano in the first pre-season game and never have the same mobility afterwards. But at only 22 years old and playing for a very successful organization, I think that Lamar has more success ahead in his NFL career.

Just a reminder on Steve Young's career. Steve was also a lifelong football player, and I won't even mention his stats from his first two seasons with Tampa Bay. So if you look at his first full season with the 49ers (1992, 16 starts), he was THIRTY ONE ... eight years in the league. He threw for 3,465 yards and rushed for 537 yards. In Lamar's first full year (last season), he threw for 3,127 yards and rushed for 1,206 yards. And let's not forget, in 1992, Young was throwing to some guy named RICE who I heard was pretty decent. In 1993, Young's passing yards went up and his rushing yards went down. Barring something unforeseen, I see Lamar's stats doing the exact same.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, that's fine, but the yards don't matter. Let me see him develop to that guy who can drop the ball between the linebacker and safety, or see that the wideout is covered inside and throw a fade so that only his guy could make a play. That's what I'll need to see. Those throwing lanes keep getting smaller as you have to play the tougher teams and that to me is what makes a champion.

• Options

Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson have as many Super Bowl rings as Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers ... so sometimes a team's awesome defense makes a champion. And I won't be surprised if the Ravens defense isn't in the top three (or even number one) again next season.

• Options

Lamar Jackson is more than capable of leading his team to a Super Bowl and winning it. To think otherwise is ridiculous, he is dynamic. His play is no doubt high risk high reward but if things fall together in the right place and his defense is strong they can be a serious contender.

• Options

@80sRockNut said:
    Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson have as many Super Bowl rings as Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers ... so sometimes a team's awesome defense makes a champion. And I won't be surprised if the Ravens defense isn't in the top three (or even number one) again next season.

We can use the same analogy for the Bills.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@perkdog said:
    Lamar Jackson is more than capable of leading his team to a Super Bowl and winning it. To think otherwise is ridiculous, he is dynamic. His play is no doubt high risk high reward but if things fall together in the right place and his defense is strong they can be a serious contender.

I agree. His team can win a SB. But I do not think he can come from behind and win a SB. I guess only time will tell for all the QB’s from the 2018 draft.

W.C.Fields