Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I bought a new macro lens...just testing it.

ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased a new macro lens for my Nikon and have just been testing it out. I have to say it is nice to get a tight shot without struggling to get the close up in focus!

This is oddly enough one of my favorite coins, funny how sometimes a coin just sticks. Nothing special about it as it is a worn common coin. But it is a rich dark chocolate brown with even color, reminds me of a gold foil plated chocolate coin from when I was kid. There is no porosity and it has an even glow all across it. Not worth a lot but I keep it on my desk just to look at occasionally!

I do need to figure out the lighting a bit better...the color variations of the coin are really accentuated while in hand they are not as evident.

ANA LM

Comments

• spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

Nice pics! That's a nice, respectably worn coin too!

Which lens did you go for and which body are you using? Lighting really takes some fidgeting to get right.

• ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the kind words! It's a D3300 body which I have had for a number of years. The lens I bought is the Nikkor 40MM and bought that as it was a reasonable price. So far I am happy with the pics I have taken and at one point will get a copy stand...got 1 kid in college and 1 on the way in a couple of years so have to spread out the expenses!

K

ANA LM
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

Sounds good! I've just started playing with a D3500 and the kit lens. Also just making do with a tripod pointed down.

I'm having trouble with the lighting as the lights I have right now (Ikea Jansjos) are a bit too much, so I'm experimenting with things to diffuse the light. I hear ping pong balls work!

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

try second hand stores or Craigslist or similar for an old copy stand... anywhere between 20 and 50 $.
    But my question is this: why a 40 mm lens?
    Lighting??? maybe it is trouble with the White Balance?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

But my question is this: why a 40 mm lens? Economics really. I think if I was farther down the road with this I would get a longer lens and probably will at one point but for now I am taking photos on my desk and they are doing the trick for me. I just did not know how it would work out with the D3300 etc. so wanted to limit the cost to start. Overall I am pretty happy with the results so far!

Here is a photo I took of an PF 68 dime for an eBay listing...

ANA LM
  • ksammutksammut Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Great pictures!

American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 35,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2020 7:25PM

@ElKevvo said:
    But my question is this: why a 40 mm lens? Economics really. I think if I was farther down the road with this I would get a longer lens and probably will at one point but for now I am taking photos on my desk and they are doing the trick for me. I just did not know how it would work out with the D3300 etc. so wanted to limit the cost to start. Overall I am pretty happy with the results so far!

The bottom of the obverse is slightly out of focus. Assuming the camera and the coin are both level and on a stand, try to decrease the aperture (larger f-number, smaller diameter) and decrease the shutter speed (longer time) to increase the depth of field of the shot.