Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help me ID this ancient coin

I was going through a page of foreign coins and I found this roman coin stuck between Austria and Hungary coins. Can someone help me ID it / value?

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears to be a bronze (follis?) of Maximian as co-Augustus, eastern mint, possibly Antioch. 286-310 A.D.
    Personification of Genius reverse.

I'll stick my neck out and say it looks to be about a $20-$30 coin but I'm no expert at that so continue to ask around.

• Options
    sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭

Great, thank you!!! at least I have a starting point. I had a bunch of coins from Europe but these were easy to figure out compared to this....

• Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

It could be Galerius (r. in the East 305 - 311 AD). His cognomen was also Maximianus, so his inscriptions are sometimes misidentified as the earlier emperor Maximian. I'm away from my books right now, but will look up a more exact attribution later.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options
    numismagramnumismagram Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

It's this type, Maximinus II from Antioch, A.D. 310: https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=142344. @Swampboy is correct on value, in this grade it would be $15-20.

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

• Options
    sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭

Thank you. I found it it and a bunch of 1700s Hungary and Austria coins in a non-PVC album page that I bought a VERY long time ago. Trying to clean them my coin collection (hoard). Off to ebay it goes. Thank you for your help!!!!