Home Sports Talk
Options

Jordan and Isiah

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

This story has just exploded ever since the airing of The Last Dance. Everyday there us a new article inkine about Michael Jordan keeping Isiah Thomas off of the 1992 Dream Team. Everyone seems to be throwing their two cents in, and the story has turned into all out war. The story goes, Michael Jordan didn't like Isiah Thomas because he was bitter about how the Detroit Pistons played with a dirty and rough style of play. Supposedly Jordan is also bitter about Isiah not shaking his hand after the Bulls beat the Pistons in the 1991 Eastern Conference finals. Adding to the drama, an audio clip of Jordan was released recently, and Jordan says on the audio tape that if Isiah is on the Dream Team, then he won't play. It has gotten ugly here lately, and now Shannon Sharpe has thrown his two cents in by calling Jordan "old, dry, snitching, lying Mike". It has gotten ugly.

Comments

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

I think there were other players on that 1992 team that were not fond of Isiah, but believe Michael had the most influence in determining team members. Really enjoyed the last dance and hearing a Brady special may be coming in the near future. Since he is still active, may be years to come.

• Options

The 80s Pistons were hated by a lot of people due to their style of play. There's also a story about Isiah Thomas being bitter because his nephew is a closet Michael Jordan fan, and he once caught his nephew wearing a michael Jordan jersey.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2020 7:53AM

Isiaha was a punk

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Isiaha was a punk

This was discussed on my local radio sports channel, and their "expert" said Isiaha was pretty much hated by every player in the league.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2020 10:11AM

This guy was certainly one of the dirtiest players in NBA history.

• Options

Check out this Bill Laimbeer collectors card, available on Ebay for only $3.99!

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Scooter261830 said:
    I've never heard Shaq complain about that,anyone else? Anyway..back to Thoma.Drexler was picked over him for the last spot. The team already had 2 powerful point guards,,,did they really need a 3rd? Lastly...Drexler,other than assists,was an all around better player than Isiah throughhout their careers.It was a no brainer really.

The thought is that John Stockton would have been left off had Isiah been taken. Hence why Isiah lit up Stockton for 44pts the first time they played after the Dream Team selections were announced.

• Options

I'm a Pistons fan and was upset at the time that Isiah was left off but they made the right call. Not because Jordan didn't want him there but because Stockton, at that point in time, was the better player. He also was a better fit. Stockton was going to disappear into the woodwork and distribute the ball and let the big egos do their thing. Isiah would have distributed the ball but he definitely wouldn't have disappeared into the woodwork.

That said, it's funny that Jordan lied about this on "The Last Dance". The story has been known for 30 years, why are you trying to deny you blackmailed them into keeping Isiah off the team now, Michael? Just sack up and say "Yeah, I told them I wouldn't play if Isiah was there. And look who they chose to keep."

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    I'm a Pistons fan and was upset at the time that Isiah was left off but they made the right call. Not because Jordan didn't want him there but because Stockton, at that point in time, was the better player. He also was a better fit. Stockton was going to disappear into the woodwork and distribute the ball and let the big egos do their thing. Isiah would have distributed the ball but he definitely wouldn't have disappeared into the woodwork.

That said, it's funny that Jordan lied about this on "The Last Dance". The story has been known for 30 years, why are you trying to deny you blackmailed them into keeping Isiah off the team now, Michael? Just sack up and say "Yeah, I told them I wouldn't play if Isiah was there. And look who they chose to keep."

he lied about a lot of stuff , the degenerate gambling thing , the so called year off to play baseball , seems like he is kind of a liar ;)

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Isiaha was a punk

Yes and who gives a crap what he thinks or says. The whole Piston team was nothing but a cheating bunch of low life's that would not have won anything if they hadn't cheated!!!!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:
    Isiaha was a punk

Yes and who gives a crap what he thinks or says. The whole Piston team was nothing but a cheating bunch of low life's that would not have won anything if they hadn't cheated!!!!

Tell me about the cheating part, I never heard about them cheating? They were a scrappy team for sure. I had no problems with their aggressive style honestly, it was fun to watch them battling the Celts back then.

• Options

They were not much rougher than the Lakers or Celtics before them. And they were loaded, talent-wise. 3 HOFers, multiple other All-Stars, and a HOF coach. They didn't win 63 games in 88/89 by accident, that's for sure.

• Options

@Tabe said:
    They were not much rougher than the Lakers or Celtics before them. And they were loaded, talent-wise. 3 HOFers, multiple other All-Stars, and a HOF coach. They didn't win 63 games in 88/89 by accident, that's for sure.

That's BS! If they would have been called for the tripping fouls they always had to do on defense....they all would have fouled out before the half of every game. Their coach was an A$$ too. He had bounties for all the players who would try to intentionally try to hurt Jordan. None of them deserve to be in the HOF!!! NONE!!!

• Options

LOL. That's nonsense.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    LOL. That's nonsense.

dimeman credited barry switzer with a superbowl so grain of salt with that

• Options
    edited May 29, 2020 10:26AM

Now Clyde Drexler is mad at Jordan because in The Last Dance documentary, Jordan said it was an insult to be compared to Drexler. This story is just filled with all kinds of drama and is very succulent!

suc.cu.lent - juicy, tasty

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@Tabe said:
    LOL. That's nonsense.

dimeman credited barry switzer with a superbowl so grain of salt with that

Bronc....you need to re-read that, I said weather we like it or not Switzer gets credit for coaching that game. Even though Jimmy and Jerry built that team. You're a HOOT man! ;)

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Now Clyde Drexler is mad at Jordan because in The Last Dance documentary, Jordan said it was an insult to be compared to Drexler. This story is just filled with all kinds of drama and is very succulent!

suc.cu.lent - having thick, fleshy, water-storing leaves or stems.

Sounds like Clyde has a water retention problem.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

suc.cu.lent - having thick, fleshy, water-storing leaves or stems.

Sounds like Clyde has a water retention problem.

😂😂😂😂 I love this place!