Home Sports Talk
Options

Baker Mayfield 3rd season

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 28, 2020 4:21AM in Sports Talk

So, will Baker Mayfield live up to the hype in his 3rd season? I'm reading online that he is now more humbled after a pretty bad 2nd season. In his first season, Baker led the Browns to a 7-8 record and threw for 27 TDs and 14 INT with a passer rating of 93.7 and in his second season he slid downwards, leading the Browns to a 6-10 record while throwing 22 TDs and 21 INT with a passer rating of 78.8, and Baker has stated that he knows the third season is crucial as far as contracts are concerned. The Browns have made some changes, Freddie Kitchens was canned, and the Browns have parted ways with John Dorsey, the GM who drafted Mayfield first overall in 2018. If Mayfield rebounds under first year head coach Kevin Stefanski, then new GM Andrew Berry's decision about whether to exercise the fifth-year option on Mayfield's rookie contract before next May's deadline would be a no brainer, but Mayfield has got to have a great season or his future with the Browns could be in question.

Comments

• Options

Of course, playing with the Browns has taken it's toll on Baker's appearance in the past.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Of course, playing with the Browns has taken it's toll on Baker's appearance in the past.

😂😂😂

• Options

I think he plays better, in fact I think the whole Browns team will be better. Between the hype and media constantly focusing on the Browns and Baker doing all those commercials they were bound to not live up to all the hype. I think with limited expectations they will actually play much better. Playoffs? Possibly but not a definite

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still have hope for Baker.
    And I think the stache was a great look!

• Options

I think he'll get it figured out. I remember watching him at Oklahoma and he was practically unstoppable. He had that fire and intensity in him, and was one of the best college quarterbacks I've ever seen. Of course the NFL is a different beast, but I think he'll get it turned around.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I think he plays better, in fact I think the whole Browns team will be better. Between the hype and media constantly focusing on the Browns and Baker doing all those commercials they were bound to not live up to all the hype. I think with limited expectations they will actually play much better. Playoffs? Possibly but not a definite

Its almost as though they prop a guy up just so they can smash him flat.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

Its almost as though they prop a guy up just so they can smash him flat.

Yea it’s typical media nonsense

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plenty of professional athlete's have a poor second year.

The good/great ones figure it out and improve.

This will be an interesting year for Mayfield.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

He'll do just fine but he will never live up to the #1 draft choice hype.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is unfortunate that he's had to play as the Team makes changes that directly affect him, his progress as a player and the Team around him. there is something to be said about "continuity" and how it affects players. that in itself is what has destroyed the Browns the past 20 years. when players are constantly learning a new playbook, a new system, walking into a locker room where they don't recognize the guys around them, attending Team meetings when the guy up front is new and when ownership is also constantly changing, well, being mediocre is all that should be expected.

I think the things I described weighed heavily on Joe Thomas' decision to retire. he just wanted off the merry-go-round.

• Options
    DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

I think he will definitely have a better year simply because of the offensive line they now have in place. His offensive weapons at WR, RB and TE are top notch but you need a line and they made an overhaul there.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

They will lose almost every game.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately for him management has been the biggest problem in his career. 3 coaches in 3 years? Extremely hard to succeed with that kind of turn over. If he is the real deal he’ll have to be given a pass for another year. Maybe he’ll mature in that time too.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.