Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

RIP Biff Pocoroba

Growing up an hour and a half from Atlanta the Braves were my home team and I was a Braves and a Yankees fan...and a catcher. In the mid 70s I was fascinated by Mr. Pocooba and though his career may not have been what many would call legendary he will always live in the hearts and minds of Braves fans. Several years ago I started a Biff Pocoroba set registry and began collecting memorabilia as well. This one truly hurts. Rest In Peace Mr. Pocoroba.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
www.questfortherookiecup.com

Comments

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

He, Bob Apodaca (name, but more so his look on the 78T card) and Jerry Dybzinski were three of my more favorite name drop players. Whenever I was describing the average/common ball player, it was one of those names. What a name. RIP Biff.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

always sad to lose someone from my childhood watching days.

RIP

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

and his legal name was Biff!

RIP

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

@yankeesman said:

Several years ago I started a Biff Pocoroba set registry and began collecting memorabilia as well. > >

I have the #3 Basic set.

That's a very nice jersey.

Rough month for fans of the '80's Braves.

I just noticed he and I share a birthday. Walter Payton is the most famous person I was able to find to share this same birthday, but surprised I never noticed Biff had it too.

• mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Is it my imagination, or does it seem like a above average number of famous people have passed away already this year.

PackManInNC
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

@mexpo75 said:
    Is it my imagination, or does it seem like a above average number of famous people have passed away already this year.

Along with an above average number of people of all types.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball

@mexpo75 said:

Not sure. I track Dodger deaths when I can. You can go back and find one of those old videos or sites that talk about that years deaths and see how this year stacks up to any of the past. A few "famous" people have died of covid related causes, but I don't think that is throwing off the numbers in general.

It is easy to forget as the months pass and by the end of the year, those videos can get quite lengthy, and I mainly only pay attention to sports deaths.

• yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭

@GDM67 said:

@yankeesman said:

Several years ago I started a Biff Pocoroba set registry and began collecting memorabilia as well. > >

I have the #3 Basic set.

That's a very nice jersey.

Rough month for fans of the '80's Braves.

Thanks on the comments on the jersey. I have a couple of his bats as well.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com