Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coin Identification anyone please?

Hi, please see photos below. Can anyone identify it please? Thanks :)

Answers

• Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

The types are Hellenistic Greek in style, though I don't recognize the specific issue they're imitating. The surfaces and "patina" are similar to common modern reproductions of ancient coins.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options
    TopoTopo Posts: 4

Ok, Thanks. Is there anyway to tell for sure if a modern reproduction or not please? Some kind of test maybe? Ie should they be magnetic or not, etc? Thanks again for reply. Cheers

• Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

The porous surfaces suggest it was made by casting, when most ancient coins were die struck. Also, if these designs are taken from a real ancient coin, I suspect they are from a silver denomination. I've seen many base metal replicas of silver ancient coins with this appearance. Here's an example of a similar replica imitating a silver coin of Alexander the Great, but made of base metal.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options

Wow. Thanks for all the info and your time to share it - very interesting and much appreciated. Thanks :)

• Options
    CaptMorgansCaptMorgans Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

Similar to my tetradrachm...

• Options

Ok, Interesting. Is that a real one that one or fake? (Excuse my ignorance if real!). It looks like a precious metal (gold?). Thanks - enjoying the education and I’m showing my kids the responses too - it’s our joint collection.